Clonezilla backup

(instructions in the tutorial thread to post here and link to the tutorial)

I tried following the above tutorial but the “iso in /opt” does not work. Besides, I want to do backups on the drive that my /opt and / and /root is mounted so its out of the question anyway.
Just using another directory on other drives does not work either ofc.

I could just use a usb stick but what is the fun in that? Besides, you can make damn sure that if I ever HAVE to restore, that usb stick will never be found. xD

I looked the instructions on Clonezilla and using and modifying the method described there with a TON of trial and error I managed to load clonezilla from grub by using following line in /etc/grub.d/40_custom
The drive in question is a mechanical WD red formated in ntfs and the iso file is stored in / of that drive if that matters.

insmod search_fs_uuid
search --no-floppy --set=isopart --fs-uuid CE8C0EC38C0EA655

menuentry "Clonezilla-live ISO" {
  ISO="/clonezilla-live-3.1.0-22-amd64.iso"
  loopback loop ($isopart)$ISO
  linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live union=overlay username=user config components quiet noswap edd=on nomodeset locales= keyboard-layouts= ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" ocs_live_batch="no" vga=791 ip= net.ifnames=0 splash i915.blacklist=yes radeonhd.blacklist=yes nouveau.blacklist=yes vmwgfx.enable_fbdev=1 findiso=$ISO
  initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

And then sudo update-grub

I now find “Clonezilla-live ISO” in the grub menu, I can run it, backup and restore both whole disk and separate partitions (yes, I have tried to restore, and it works)
I store my backups on a partition that is never mounted on my system except for when doing backups/restores as recommended in the tutorial (clever, I would not have thought about that).

But when I try to shut down or reboot after I’m done in clonezilla my computer gets stuck (see pic) and I can’t even ctrl+alt+delete my way out of there, have to hard reset my computer with the reset button or hold power for 5s.

Any thoughts into how to solve this?

Rescuezilla is much more easy to use and works like a charm

I’m not looking for a gui replacement or anything other that requires an usb stick.
Or are you saying I can just switch out the clonezilla iso file to a rescuezilla iso in my above config, update-grub and that would fix it?

I guess I’m asking how to loop and mount an iso-file in grub so I can run it as a “live-usb”…

Sorry, can’t tell, cause I’ve never tried that.

@Fabby This is the error I get if I try the “/opt/ way” described in the tutorial btw.

Maybe try the /etc/grub.d/40_custom script from the Rescuezilla instructions? Should be able to just change the ISO to Clonezilla if you prefer.

Disclaimer: have not tried this myself! :man_shrugging:

That is exactly what I did, with a few modifications to get it to work, but can not reboot or shut down after.

Ah. No idea then, sorry. :slightly_frowning_face:

Oh, just checked your link, thought it went to the same I linked to in my post, yeah, I checked that one too and have tried back and forth with different methods.
I tried maaaaaany different linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz lines, and the one in my initial post is the only one I got to even load.

UPDATE!

Something has changed since I tried this a few weeks ago.

Things that did not work before is now working. Not sure if I should be happy or cry. xD

The reason the /opt version doesn’t work for me might be because I use btrfs, I read that somewhere while doing further research today, but now I can’t recall where so I could use it as reference… :roll_eyes:

I now have following in /etc/grub.d/40_custom

menuentry "Clonezilla-live ISO (UUID)" {
  insmod search_fs_uuid
  search --no-floppy --set=isopart --fs-uuid CE8C0EC38C0EA655
  ISO="/clonezilla-live-3.1.0-22-amd64.iso"
  loopback loop ($isopart)$ISO
  linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live findiso=$ISO
}

menuentry "Clonezilla-live-ISO (HD)" {
  insmod ntfs
  set isofile="/clonezilla-live-3.1.0-22-amd64.iso"
  loopback loop (hd1,2)$isofile
  linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live findiso=$isofile
}

My hd is at the moment at /dev/sdb2 so in second entry it becomes hd1,2. (hd0 is sda)

No need to put ANY options now apparently.

I think the first entry is preferable, the uuid will never change, but I have noticed that sometimes, not often but sometimes the device order of the disks change and that will require me to change the second entry.

Thanks to @MrLavender who provided me a link, that led me to the following link, a nice reference to a few different iso files and tips on how to mount them in grub.

Glad you got it working! That link you posted is very comprehensive, bookmarked for future reference :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.