ClamAV, ESET or Sophos?

Hi there. I have read a little bit about AV solutions for Linux. Most of the articles stated that ClamAV is not the best by detecting malware for Linux. Mostly i see rates of 15 -22% detection rates, instead of 95% with ESET or Sophos Products. Are these true results? I didn’t care about advanced protection modules like browser detection, VPN and so on. I only want to use it as a real-time scanner for downloaded files and inserted portable media like USB Sticks and so on. Any idea what i should choose?

Take your time and learn what they do and how they do it.

as opposed to:

none of it - going by the usage scenario you outlined

cave:
this is my opinion ™ :wink:
built upon information I have

2 Likes

You mean, that I didn’t need a AV solution? Sure, I don’t care about most advanced modules, but going without any AV solution sounds a little bit scary to me. I was never without AV solution in my Windows time

Since Ubuntu overwrote my dead Vista installation in 2007, I have often wondered when malware will hit me.

At that time, I was using USB’s to carry portable Windows apps, as well as my personal documents folder… Every time I returned home and plugged it in, there were malicious (Hidden) files designed to run malware when plugged in to WINDOWS machines - and which were simply deletable.

I’m pretty careless, and I also used quite a few nasty WAREZ websites back in the day to grab cracked windows software.

I laugh in the face of malicious websites and download whatever I fancy because simply throwing in a USB to reinstall and restore a backup is so trivial in comparison that I don’t think I’ll ever worry about it.

1 Like

yes

You are scared of dangers that do not exist and that such software cannot protect you from.
You are just used to it from Windows.

It’s why I said:

When you understand you can properly evaluate the usefulness of the software
what it can and cannot do
instead of basing the using of it upon habit and fear of the unknown.

3 Likes

…this is the more private (egoistic) side of view - and I agree.
But, interacting/sharing dubious stuff with others (they might use windows), or even bring your sh… to your company is the other side and you potentially become a virus spreader.

You misunderstand, the files came from networked Windows computers at work and from internet shops; they were nothing more than ineffective files on Linux, and visiting those malicious websites was also completely innocuous.

I could see all hidden files picked up from Windows at work and was never infected at home.

I ran the cracked games by rebooting to Windows - which is where antivirus is required.

I think Linux virus is intended for people administering Windows platforms from Linux machines.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.