Cinnamon Flash usb stops after grub , after most recent update ( today morning)

I also use btrfs and the stable branch right now. I made also an update 1 hour ago, so I am puzzling what your problem is.

• Timing issue? → The SSD loads, but the kernel doesn’t see it?
  • The btrfs partition is full and therefore is blocked?

As said, I have no issue and I used like you the pamac-manager (GUI). So what could be different on your system?

I modified the blkid result, this is the correct result in the image.
What can you tell me ?

The UUID is correct?! I can also tell long stories, if you like?

Please check if the btrfs partition is almost full, it needs 10-20% free space to breath. Can also be done in rootfs if btrfs included in the kernel image and you are capable to do this. Otherwise boot another live session of Manjaro and check it from there.

You can find good Information about Btrfs in the wiki

Hello Megavolt. The btrfs partition , where I mounted /, has a lot of free space, 289 GB free ( only 15% occupied).

Can you please explain what you mean by

The UUID is correct?! I can also tell long stories, if you like?

My knowledge of linux is still partial, even though I have been using usb flash for a long time, so I am asking for explanations about things that are trivial to you.
I checked that the UUID of the error message is the same as that of the blkid command , related to the partition /; Is that what I needed to check ? In fact, the two UUIDs are identical. So?

Thank you very much

Could this post

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/mount-new-root-cant-find-device-uuid/91811/3

be useful?

since the uuids match, give it a try… chroot and rerun:
mkinitcpio -P && update-grub
reboot and see

1 Like

That was just a hint at the obvious. I can tell a lot when the day is long, but the only thing I can read from it is that the UUID matches. Period.

Storytelling is an acronym for “I look into my glass globe and guess what it might be.”

It is very possible that the update, so kernel & bootloader related stuff, was not synced (partly written to disk), which could lead to such misbehavior. If that is a flash drive connected via usb then that would be the most likely cause.

As @brahma mentioned, if the update process has nothing to do, you would need to recreate kernel images (sudo mkinitcpio -P) and recreate the grub menu (sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg). That should be the first approach to fix such stuff.

And keep sure the file system is synchronized by typing sync into the terminal.

Unfortunately I can’t get into chroot mode. After booting from usb iso here is what i get from

manjaro-chroot -a

It’s strange that it doesn’t detect linux partitions; sda and sdb are windows partitions ( hdd drives), sdc is the manjaro flash-usb ( sdc2 is btrfs formatted , sdc3 or sdc4 is ext4 ), sdd is live usb.

manjaro-chroot -a doesnt work with btrfs and/or encryption…
if sdc2 is btrfs where you have manjaro, try this:

sudo mount -o subvol=@ /dev/sdc2 /mnt
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt

(i have no experience with btrfs, so the command for the sdc may not be correct…)
if it was run:
mkinitcpio -P && update-grub
sync
reboot and see if it helped…

summary
Boot from live usb ( the latest KDE)

sudo mount /dev/sdc2 -o subvol=@ /mnt
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt

this is the terminal output

sudo mount /dev/sdc2 -o subvol=@ /mnt                                                          ✔
    ~  sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt                                                                       ✔
sh-5.1# mkinitcpio -P && update-grub
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux519.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.19-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.19-x86_64.img
==> ERROR: specified kernel image does not exist: '/boot/vmlinuz-5.19-x86_64'
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux519.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.19-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.19-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: specified kernel image does not exist: '/boot/vmlinuz-5.19-x86_64'
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux60.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: '6.0.19-4-MANJARO'
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'xhci_pci'
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [keymap]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating zstd-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img'
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux60.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: '6.0.19-4-MANJARO'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'aic94xx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'bfa'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qed'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla1280'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla2xxx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'wd719x'
==> Creating zstd-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img'
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux61.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.1-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64.img --microcode /boot/amd-ucode.img
==> Starting build: '6.1.21-1-MANJARO'
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
==> Creating zstd-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64.img'
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux61.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-6.1-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64-fallback.img -S autodetect --microcode /boot/amd-ucode.img
==> Starting build: '6.1.21-1-MANJARO'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'aic94xx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'bfa'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qed'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla1280'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla2xxx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'wd719x'
==> Creating zstd-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64-fallback.img'
sh-5
sync
exit

I perform a reboot and …
I find myself right back where I started. :confounded:
Other ideas ??

i dont see any output from the update grub… probably a btrfs thing? maybe we need to mount all partitions/ subvolumes?
post output from:

lsblk -o PATH,PTTYPE,PARTTYPE,FSTYPE,PARTTYPENAME
lsblk -o PATH,PTTYPE,PARTTYPE,FSTYPE,PARTTYPENAME                                              ✔
PATH       PTTYPE PARTTYPE                             FSTYPE   PARTTYPENAME
/dev/loop0                                             squashfs
/dev/loop1                                             squashfs
/dev/loop2                                             squashfs
/dev/loop3                                             squashfs
/dev/sda   gpt
/dev/sda1  gpt    c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b vfat     EFI System
/dev/sda2  gpt    e3c9e316-0b5c-4db8-817d-f92df00215ae          Microsoft reserved
/dev/sda3  gpt    ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7 ntfs     Microsoft basic data
/dev/sda4  gpt    de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac ntfs     Windows recovery environment
/dev/sdb   dos
/dev/sdb1  dos    0x7                                  ntfs     HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdc   gpt
/dev/sdc1  gpt    c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b vfat     EFI System
/dev/sdc2  gpt    0fc63daf-8483-4772-8e79-3d69d8477de4 btrfs    Linux filesystem
/dev/sdc3  gpt    ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7 ntfs     Microsoft basic data
/dev/sdc4  gpt    0fc63daf-8483-4772-8e79-3d69d8477de4 ext4     Linux filesystem
/dev/sdd   dos                                         iso9660
/dev/sdd1  dos    0x0                                  iso9660  Empty
/dev/sdd2  dos    0xef                                 vfat     EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

mount it all:

sudo mount -o subvol=@ /dev/sdc2 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sdc2 -o subvol=@log /mnt/var/log
sudo mount /dev/sdc2 -o subvol=@cache /mnt/var/cache
sudo mount /dev/sdc2 -o subvol=@home /mnt/home
sudo mount /dev/sdc4 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/boot/efi
sudo manjaro-chroot /mnt

rerun update:
pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && pacman -Syyu
if there were no errors, run this again:
mkinitcpio -P
update-grub
sync
then post also output from:
cat /etc/fstab
blkid
reboot and see if it helped

I had to modify 2 lines of code, otherwise I couldn’t get into chroot. The new lines, replacing the first and fifth, are:

sudo mount /dev/sdc2 -o subvol= @ /mnt
sudo munt /dev/sdc4 /mnt/home

the second the third and the fourth gave error. Entered chroot, the only updated package was mkinitcpio; there were two errors, but I continued anyway until the procedure was finished.
This is fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=AB0D-E7C0                            /boot/efi      vfat    umask=0077 0 2
UUID=aea79614-1650-48a7-b6e4-261db867e2e1 /              btrfs   subvol=@,defaults,noatime,space_cache,ssd,com
press=zstd,commit=120 0 1
UUID=1b413f94-d392-477b-8508-ac204e581318 /home          ext4    defaults,noatime 0 2
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
## //192.168.188.54/Francesco_Data /home/francesco/nas cifs auto,_netdev,username=Francesco,password=Chicco123
4Y,uid=francesco,gid=francesco 0 0
# https://fmpsp5wxvf7s47eg.myfritz.net/Francesco_Data /home/francesco/nas davfs rw,user,_netdev,uid=francesco,
gid=francesco 0 0
# //u279997.your-storagebox.de/backup /home/francesco/New cifs iocharset=utf8,rw,credentials=/etc/samba/creden
tials,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770 0 0

and this blkid

/dev/loop1: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sdd2: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL_FATBOOT="MISO_EFI" LABEL="MISO_EFI" UUID="623B-25B9" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sdd1: BLOCK_SIZE="2048" UUID="2023-03-16-12-31-50-00" LABEL="MANJARO_KDE_2205" TYPE="iso9660"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="DATA" BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="01D4BEC452A4DA70" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="15b615b6-01"
/dev/loop2: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sdc2: UUID="aea79614-1650-48a7-b6e4-261db867e2e1" UUID_SUB="1e934111-e18c-4bfb-ab36-a0e7963d13dd" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="c06a88c9-df19-a940-9190-68dfe446851a"
/dev/sdc3: BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="60C7DA5A02F1E337" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="8c748f55-b902-5645-925b-d380c6e7c499"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="AB0D-E7C0" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="3b497e4a-1ec6-234a-a547-9ead0246379f"
/dev/sdc4: UUID="1b413f94-d392-477b-8508-ac204e581318" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="4feeedff-8268-ac4a-ba4d-c5982161e8c7"
/dev/sda4: BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="DC06A3F906A3D336" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="d20625b4-9d93-4b6b-8e49-7d38baf4e632"
/dev/sda2: PARTLABEL="Microsoft reserved partition" PARTUUID="17bb7a9d-ac4b-42c0-b738-1b60b315d2ee"
/dev/sda3: BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="BE94222D9421E91B" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="68c64978-e3e3-44c8-a5dc-90615d502adb"
/dev/sda1: UUID="A021-33A5" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI system partition" PARTUUID="944d11fa-9e68-446c-97b4-ea454c07a246"
/dev/loop3: TYPE="squashfs"

Unfortunately, the problem has not been solved. i am at the same point…

Try to downgrade mkinitcpio - see
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/failure-to-boot-manjaro-from-legacy-usb-with-btrfs-after-update-mkinitcpio-35-2-2-with-manjaro-22-1-0-1/137624/22

• boot live media
  • mount your flash as in brahma’s post above
  • chroot
  • install downgrade
  • downgrade mkinitcpio to 34.2
# pacman -Sy downgrade
# env SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade mkinitcpio
  • ignore mkinitcpio updates until this will be fixed …

I made a fresh installation on USB Flash with btrfs and had this issue - when I nstalled on ext4 instead, I could boot after the update. Another user who uses ext4 on an USB SDD had the same failure with his system …

1 Like

Well, now the system has restarted. Many many thanks. two more questions:

1. When will a new version of mkinitcpio be released that is compatible with my system, and how will I know?
  2. I have another SSD usb flash with newer manjaro-kde, which I have not updated yet. To prevent everything from happening again, before updating I edit /etc/pacman.conf
    and I add
IgnorePkg = mkinitcpio

Is this sufficient ? should I downgrade in this case as well ?

Thank you again :beers:

Thank you for the method of avoiding this problem with a flash drive installation. If I refuse the Manjaro update of mkinitcpio from 34-1.1 to 35.2-2, I can update my system and reboot it without seeing the dreaded “can’t find UUID” message.

Just for interest, I did a fresh installation of Manjaro to my flash drive and saw that the mkinitcpio version was 34-1.1. I then updated this new installation, including mkinitcpio to 35.2-2, and to my amazement I could reboot the system without any problems. So it seems that there is something in my old installation which is incompatible with 35.2-2, which makes me doubt that any “fix” for mkinitcpio can be hoped for. Perhaps if dracut is adopted by Manjaro this will save me having to reinstall my whole system.

I too performed again a btrfs installation on SSD from the latest ISO, but on the first update the problem recurs, and is only unlocked with the above procedure. I hope the genius maintainers will soon fix the problem, which by the way, as was to be expected, does not recur with an ext4 installation on SSD.

Thank you all very much for sharing your experiences. Like the vast majority I use “ext4” on a “USB memory” and I had the same problem when starting my computer. (A curious fact that I still can’t understand is that when I connected my USB memory to an old computer, it worked fine, that is, the system started normally. But when I connected it to another more modern computer, this same error appeared)

I spent several days trying to identify what the problem was and finally managed to solve it thanks to this forum…

Just in case I share my solution (I do this whole process from a bootable USB drive):
Download the package from: Index of /packages/m/mkinitcpio/
sudo manjaro-chroot -a
sudo pacman -U mkinitcpio-34-2-any.pkg.tar.zst
sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

GENERAL OPTIONS
[options]
IgnorePkg=mkinitcpio