Cifs-utils unengaged in latest stable kernel

When running the mount command using cifs, my terminal returns:
mount error : cifs filesystem not supported by the system mount
error(19): No such device

After updating to the latest rolling stable release of Manjaro KDE, my cifs-utils package does not seem to be working any more. Despite countless restarts and reinstalls, the package still does not engage when running the mount command in the terminal.

Running zgrep -i cifs /proc/config.gz yields:
CONFIG_CIFS=m
CONFIG_CIFS_STATS2 is not set
CONFIG_CIFS_ALLOW_INSECURE_LEGACY=y
CONFIG_CIFS_UPCALL=y
CONFIG_CIFS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_CIFS_POSIX=y
CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG2 is not set
CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG_DUMP_KEYS is not set
CONFIG_CIFS_DFS_UPCALL=y
CONFIG_CIFS_SWN_UPCALL=y
CONFIG_CIFS_SMB_DIRECT is not set
CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE=y

When running modprobe cifs (recommended by a user on the Unix stack exchange on another thread), I get the following response:
modprobe: FATAL: Module cifs not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.25-1-MANJARO

This raises a few questions, and I’m hoping someone will be able to assist me, as I am a relatively new Linux user, and cifs is essential to my work flow. I’d like to stress that this error only occurred AFTER I updated my Manjaro packages through the pamac yesterday to the latest stable release.

Update: The issue has been resolved and only seems to occur in the latest LTS/Recommended kernel. Switching to 5.16.14-1-MANJARO resolved the issue

Works fine with 5.16.14-1-MANJARO. Maybe switch to that kernel. For linux515 we have to see. Latest version we support is 5.15.28.

Thank you for your help. I’m switching to kernel linux516, and will be reporting back shortly!
Update: It resolved the issue

Clarification: There was an error in my post. I was running the latest version 5.15.28, but I mixed it up with my original installation version, as I assumed that was what I was still running. Looking at the kernel version, however, I realised that was not the case.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.