Chrome based browsers no longer load dark pages since 04.06 update

A friendly hello to the forum.
Please excuse me if this topic has already been covered, I could not find anything suitable.

I use the Cinnamon Desktop.

After deleting xdg-desktop-portal-gnome (workaround after update from June 4th), Chromium and Brave websites no longer open in dark mode. They are always opened brightly.
The change in the Brave settings then only works temporarily and is gone again after closing.

Is there a workaround for this or a solution that I haven’t been able to find yet?

Before removing xdg-desktop-portal-gnome it still worked, only other programs opened very slowly.

The GUI is dark, that’s not the problem. It only affects the pages that are opened. In Firefox they are loaded in the dark, but unfortunately no longer in Chrome-based browsers.

I am not sure if the issue you’re experiencing is related to mine, but page rendering in Google Chrome is entirely broken on KDE after the updates.

I will try swapping out of Wayland and see if that changes things.

I have no experience with Brave, but as of the latest update to Chromium, it now follows the color scheme of the chosen GTK theme — even on Plasma and other desktop environments.

The only way to change the color scheme from light to dark or vice versa is to change the GTK theme. There is no other way, or at least, for now, because lots of people have already filed bug reports and feature requests, but it’s Google we’re dealing with here, so… :roll_eyes:

Now everything is working properly again.

The one described by philm here under point 3:

sudo pacman -Rdd xdg-desktop-portal-gnome
sudo pacman -S xdg-desktop-portal-gtk

is not enough. I also uninstalled the package xdg-desktop-portal:

sudo pacman -Rdd xdg-desktop-portal

So even in all Chrome-based browsers, the Internet pages are automatically called up again in dark if the page supports it.

On my system with Cinnamon Desktop only the package “xdg-desktop-portal-gtk” is installed now.

So now you only have xdg-desktop-portal-gtk installed?
Why? Its the same as having nothing installed.
(portal-gtk, portal-gnome, etc are all backends for desktop-portal … they wont work without it…)

Since people seem to be endlessly confused about these things or even what they are …
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xdg-desktop-portal

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.