Chitubox - advice needed

Hullo guys

The recommended slicer for my 3d printer is Chitubox, and there is an aur package \0/

However it hasn’t been updated in nearly 6 months, it appears to have been uploaded only once, and it’s too old a version to support my printer /0\

What to do?
Do I email the package maintainer who doesn’t seem to have an interest in keeping it up to date?
Do I try my hand at manually installing the tar.gz? This seems to be discouraged for punters like me, also appears non-trivial for this particular package.
Do I try alternative slicer software? This seems to be discouraged by the printer manufacturer.

Other ideas?

The package has been flagged as out of date and commented on already

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chitubox-free-bin/

As the maintainer hasnt responded to multiple version flags … what I would suggest is the following:

• Download the PKGBUILD.
    (your AUR helper may make this easy, in yay: yay -G chitubox-free-bin)

• Edit the PKGBUILD and replace the pkgver line with 1.7.0
    (note-you will still have to have the binaries from your account/sign-in… follow the prompts)

• Go ahead and install … what I would use is (in that directory) makepkg -sric

(as this is software requiring an account and all … I cant test …)

Of course … The above all assumes that nothing is needed but the version bump for the source.

1 Like

Thank you - that got me a lot further (o:

It now fails what looks a lot like a checksum check (sha256sums), and I can’t seem to find the correct checksums for the downloads on the chitubox site.

Is there a way of generating those from the tar.gz, or should I contact Chitubox?

You can generate right sha256sums from the files you downloaded. Like this.

$ sha256sum PKGBUILD                                                                                                                                            
b468c07b376ee2c9065867ea01e476e2428a05dbca88acbe8cde202dbc58ccae  PKGBUILD

Or just delete sha256sums from PKGBUILD.

sha256sums=(
    "7f62814970d459228bd1a07c1e1a27eb57b0bdc15aaf609b11d44e0800e86a6d"
    "fdd0c1595cfa7ef97ae850b83de328db55150d76f42e6c472167bcc80f87ea47"
)
1 Like

I got it to work! Thank you FishHawk (o:

For anyone following along, the package is a little … fiddly.

• You need to have yay installed - grab it in your package manager if you don’t
  • You need to download the package - in the console, run: yay -G chitubox-free-bin
  • Register and download the Chitubox install files - here’s a link
  • Copy the dowloaded file to /var/tmp/pamac-build-USERNAME/chitubox-free-bin/
  • Navigate there in the terminal: cd /var/tmp/pamac-build-USERNAME/chitubox-free-bin/
  • find the relevant sha256sum’s: sha256sum CHITUBOX_V1.7.0.tar.gz and sha256sum chitubox-free.desktop
  • Open the PKGBUILD file in your favourite text editor, update the version number and the sha256sums with the values from the terminal
  • run makepkg -sric, give it your sudo password, and done!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.