Check Ventoy compatibility for LiveISOs

Ventoy
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ventoy-bin/

Ventoy s the best way today, in my opinion, to install - and test - LiveISOs, better than YUMI and Multisystem, that are the alternatives.

I installed my Manjaro Gnome with this software, and a pendrive, but, the KDE version do not work with it after the Manjaro Welcome that works, so it is not a copy failure - i think -

I am so in love with this software to install and test LiveISOs that I would like it to become the de facto standard for installing LiveISOs, and even imgs, and as Manjaro x86 and arm (pinetab) are my favorite distros, this check for compatibility for the liveISOs - only to advice if it works or not if it is a lot of work to fix if they do not work - would be great.

1 Like

Hello,

Not quite sure what are you asking, or what

means and who should do the checking?

They have already a list of tested ISOs

If Ventoy fails to boot an ISO there is always the imagewriter in our repositories.
I know in stable branch the ventoy package is at version 1.0.29-1, a bit behind of the latest release, but testing and unstable have 1.0.30-1 version. Anyway, for the AUR package we have @Yochanan as copackager, hence there should be no problem with it either.

Maybe you can share some logs. I can boot the Live Session of each latest Manjaro ISO i tested …

I agree in terms of UX.

Just be careful for the time being as there is an issue on Ventoy’s safety : Mirai virus · Issue #660 · ventoy/Ventoy · GitHub
It has to be cleared before further using the last version.

1 Like

Windows users has to be paranoid - that comes with the territory :grin: - that said - antivirus uses a better-safe-than sorry approach when it comes to signatures - and since ventoy is a an application which writes data to the boot sector - and virus scanners have signatures from real malicious code which resembles - ventoy code - then false positives are bound to happen.

I admit I have not done a source review of ventoy since my first reviews but I believe those are false positive - or another possible option which is someone offering malicios downloads disguised as ventoy - for the time being - I have no problems with ventoy.

There is no issue really.
Just false positives.

So it’s cleared ?

That was my initial opinion … it looks like they have swapped a few things and updated it … noting there will probably be new false positives.
But you can read that thread you linked for an overview.

Secureboot support in ventoy is also nice. Just be careful if you install manjaro with secure boot, you might end up with an unbootable system if you don’t know what you are doing.

I just received release note from ventoy

Notes
The install program Ventoy2Disk.exe has not been updated for some releases. It seems that it has been added to the whitelist of anti-virus software vendors. But Ventoy2Disk.exe is updated in this release, so there may be some false positives again.

I mean that it would be nice to check if the LiveISOs are GRUB compatible (and as It is the method Ventoy uses, Ventoy compatible)

And also to explain that using ventoy is the best way to test and install several liveISO from Manjaro with different DEs or Linux versions, or even have several SOs on a pendrive.

Sometimes seems LiveISO are not GRUB compatible as last KDE linux59 Manjaro one.

When it boots from USB and there are errors after the welcome screen, I do not know where, if any, logs are stored.

Really confusing why this might be the case. There shouldn’t be any meaningful difference between gnome and kde isos in this respect. They are built with same toolchain, same kernel, same bootloader, same drivers and so on. Nothing that affects booting is different between those two.

Just tested the latest Manjaro ISOs (KDE and XFCE) with the latest Ventoy. Sure enough XFCE boots up with no problems while KDE gives me this error:

mount: /run/miso/sfs/rootfs: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop3, missing codepage or helper program or other error.
ERROR: Failed to mount `/dev/loop3`
  Falling back to interactive prompt
  You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

something went wrong when you copied the KDE image to the USB stick
perhaps the download was already corrupted
perhaps the copy to the USB storage didn’t complete
before you yanked the stick out?
… just two of a couple more possibilities :wink:

1 Like

Yeah turns out the checksum didn’t match, even though I did complete the download and ejected my usb. Downloaded it again and now it works without issues. My bad