Changing the stored commands of the key assignment

A question: In which place (config) are the key mapping commands stored in Mate-Desktop?

There’s a GUI called Keyboard Shortcuts.

It’s available in the Control Center, and in the menu under System → Preferences → Hardware, or Preferences → Hardware, depending on the menu.

You can also change them in dconf-editor, but it’s more awkward.

AFAIK they’re stored in dconf in a binary format.

dconf(7) — Arch manual pages
dconf(1) — Arch manual pages

Each piece of software can have it’s own shortcuts, though not all do, they’re found in the software itself. Terminals have their own, as do more complex software such as browsers, office suites etc.

1 Like

Oh dear … I had hoped it was a simple text file. I think I still have too much respect for dconf.

Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

What are you trying to do?

The screenshot tool under Mate has always bugged me. Now I found another one from the AUR and loved it immediately. You can configure it wonderfully from the command line. Now I want to replace the known mappings with these command strings.

Unless I’m missing something, you should be able to use Keyboard Shortcuts to configure it.

Add a custom shortcut, specify the command you need and assign the key or combo. If it’s already mapped, as in this case, it will ask if you want to re-assign the key/combo to the new command.

1 Like

This is exactly my problem. I could not find a way under Mate to reassign the entry. So not with command line. I can assign new keys to existing entries, yes, but not to call a program other than the one assigned, as in this case mate-screenshots.

You’re thinking about it the wrong way, you don’t change the command (unless it’s a custom shortcut), you create a new one and reassign the key/combo.

At the bottom of Keyboard Shortcuts, there are 3 buttons, one says Add.

Click that and a dialog will open, enter a name and a command (you may need the full path to the executable) and click Apply.

The new shortcut is at the bottom in the Custom Shortcuts section, look for the name in the left column, the right column will say disabled, double click the word disabled and press a key or combo.

What command are you trying to use?

1 Like

That’s great. Thank you for your excellent answer!

Yes, sometimes I think from the wrong side - but since Linux for me is always on the command line side in the important things, it didn’t occur to me to just delete the annoying elements on the graphical interface.

So I could now successfully assign the print key with:
gscreenshot -f /home/***/Screenshots/ -s -c

This way I get my selection cursor displayed, select the area and have a copy on the clipboard to paste to social media and in parallel still a saved file of that snapshot.

Thank you for your wonderful and kind help. The problem is solved.

Oh, and this: if you want to unassign the assigned keyboard shortcut in the graphical interface, you have to press the Backspace key.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.