Changing Refresh rate makes monitor mess up

So Ive recently switched from windows and so far im loving it after ironing a few kinks out here and there. But now im stumpted, on windows I would go into the nvidia geforce app to add custom resolutions and thats where I learned my Monitor could take upto 74hz. A 14hz oc. May not seem like much but I can feel it in certain games that are insanely high paced it does help.
Anyhow I have tried
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --primary --mode 1920x1080 --rate 74
This does make it change however the monitor itself freaks out and all the pixels start like jumping up and down and it reports the wrong resolution. This even happens when just moving --rate to 61 over 60. 60 works just fine. Could this be a driver issue? As I said it worked just fine in windows so it cant be hardware.
Anyway thought I would ask u awesome chaps before I give up on it haha. Thanks

There is a chance that what you have isn’t supported on Linux.

That being said… my Acer monitors somehow have the 75Hz option in “Display” GUI in KDE. So I run both of mine at 75Hz. I also use AMD, with open source drivers. I don’t know if that makes a difference in how it handles monitors like that compared to NVIDIA and their closed source drivers.

This is a common issue I’ve encountered when trying to set custom refresh rates, or really anything with just xrandr. If you have an Nvidia GPU, this guide may be more fruitful.

(note: you may need to write to your /etc/X11/mwhd.d/nvidia.conf instead of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.)

I cannot follow that guide due to not having dpkg. Its weird cos it works and does change but it just flickers like mad and seems to ■■■■ up the resolution.

Which part didn’t work without dpkg?