Caps Lock/Hyper behavior very inconsistent

I’ve been trying to solve this for weeks now. Before I switched to Linux, I had wired AutoHotkey to replace the function of the Caps Lock key to become a modifier (e.g. caps + a would run a certain application, etc). Now that I’m on Linux, I changed the behavior of caps from the system settings menu to become “make caps lock an additional hyper”. I then set a custom shortcut for caps + a to run the command: rofi -show run
This only works half the time. When I restart the computer, the option is still checked but it doesn’t work at all. I have to unswitch it and switch it again, and that freezes the system for a minute and sometimes doesn’t even work. Also, even when it’s working, this supposed hyper key actually functions like a super key (windows key), opening the menu when pressed.

I use fcitx5, and I’ve tried to mess with xkb (specifically by adding caps:hyper to /etc/default/keyboard, which didn’t work at all.) I’ve tried resorting to the ArchWiki X Keyboard instructions, but they’re waaaay over my head.

P.S. I’m not sure if this is relevant, but sometimes fcitx5 shows 2 icons on the system icons toolbar, and restarting fcitx5 from the drop menu freezes the computer for approximately 10 seconds.

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

That shouldn’t go there at all.

I am on XFCE so I don’t know if this will work on KDE but you can try it.
If you have this path /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ , than in there you can create this file
00-keyboard.conf and add the following content

# Read and parsed by systemd-localed. It's probably wise not to edit this file
# manually too freely.
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "system-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option "XkbOptions" "caps:hyper"
EndSection

If you already have the file than just add this Option "XkbOptions" "caps:hyper"
Reboot.

Cheers…

Holy god in heaven above, that actually worked. I have no idea why all the tutorials were telling me to edit the other file. Thank you, friend!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.