CAps LOck DElay Issue

Hi all,

I’m having the dreaded caps lock delay issue, covered by this link Xorg/Keyboard configuration - ArchWiki

This worked–and it worked when I was using Mint. But recently it seems to be reverting to the original cap script after initially running the alternative cap script. Incredibly frustrating because I’m one of these ‘caps lock capitalizers’ and it really disrupts the flow of my typing. Any idea why the script might stop working after failing to run? I’m a noob so detailed instructions of what you think the problem might be would be helfpul.

Thanks

People use the caps lock button?

According to the article:

Consider making it a service launching after X starts, since reloaded configurations do not survive a system reboot.

So could you give us more information how you did that exactly because Mint is not a rolling release and Manjaro is, so your xkbmap gets updated more frequently on Manjaro so you need to automate the keyboard reconfiguration.

The answer: I didn’t and that’s the bit I need help with is a perfectly reasonable answer to the above question… :innocent: :wink:

:thinking:

P.S. @BusinessOrc Might be funny, but is not helpful: people who were taught blind typing on a mechanical typewriter all have this issue as those did not have a Caps lock nor a Shift but a Shift Lock. You’re very funrtunate never having had to use one of these clunkers:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

For sure. Thanks for the info. I have a script in my home directory called “capscript” containing the following, marked as executable:

#!/bin/sh

echo “Startup script was run at $(date)” >> /home/username/myxkbmap-err-log
xkbcomp /home/username/myxkbmap $DISPLAY >> /home/username/myxkbmap-err-log 2>&1

xkbcomp -w 0 myxkbmap $DISPLAY

In startup applications, I have an entry with /home/username/capscript on a 45 second delay. I put the delay on after some research in case there were any issues with xorg starting up.

Sure, where I’m from we call these pointless posts bumps. Someone might notice this and actually respond after 6 hours of no help.

You’re right I’ve never used a typewriter but I’d certainly welcome the experience.

Sorry to de-rail I’ll piddle off now.

2 Likes

In the future, when providing code/output, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

(as that makes our life much easier so you get helped more quickly and efficiently)

:innocent:

But the script itself looks good. Did you copy myxkbmap from Mint or generate it again on Manjaro?

:thinking:

P.S. @BusinessOrc I hunt for old unanswered questions, so bumping has the opposite effect on the kind of stuff I look at… :innocent:

For sure. Thanks for the help. I’ve put the delay up to 60s and it seems to be working fine now.

:+1:

1 Like

I’ve marked the below answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (I just want to avoid even more subjective opinions being posted and confusing you even more)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please mark a solution like this:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.