CAN'T UPDATE: Conflict between nvidia-450xx-utils and nvidia-440xx-utils

Well I was able to run the first command:
sudo pacman -R linux-latest-nvidia-440xx that seems to have removed the package.

But after running sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-440xx I get this error:
chyba: selhala příprava transakce (nelze vyřešit závislosti)
:: odstranění nvidia-440xx-utils poruší závislost ‘nvidia-utils’ vyžadovanou balíčkem cuda
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

Removing nvidia-440xx-utils is interrupting the dependency ‘nvidia-utils’ which is required by the package cuda (translated).

You have to remove cuda … then install the driver, then reinstall cuda :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just resolved this conflict by following your steps. Should I clean the older nvidia packages and what would be a safe way to do it?

$ pacman -Qs nvidia
local/cuda 11.0.3-1
    NVIDIA's GPU programming toolkit
local/lib32-libvdpau 1.4-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/lib32-nvidia-450xx-utils 450.66-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.4-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/linux54-nvidia-450xx 450.66-6 (linux54-extramodules)
    NVIDIA drivers for linux.
local/mhwd-nvidia-340xx 340.108-1
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 340.108
local/mhwd-nvidia-390xx 390.132-1
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 390.132
local/mhwd-nvidia-418xx 418.113-1
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia-418xx 418.113
local/mhwd-nvidia-430xx 430.64-1.0
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia-430xx 430.64
local/mhwd-nvidia-435xx 435.21-1.0
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 435.21
local/mhwd-nvidia-440xx 440.100-1
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 440.100
local/mhwd-nvidia-450xx 450.66-1
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 450.66
local/nvidia-450xx-utils 450.66-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/opencl-nvidia-440xx 440.100-1
    OpenCL implemention for NVIDIA
local/xf86-video-nouveau 1.0.16-2 (xorg-drivers)
    Open Source 3D acceleration driver for nVidia cards

DO NOT REMOVE THESE!

These are important dependency in the system, required by MHWD, even if you currently do not have anything Nvidia in the machine.

From the above list I guess only opencl-nvidia-440xx is safe to remove?

I have a similar problem, although I know how to fix it (and I have) I wonder if there is an easier (automatic) solution. The problem is that I have a machine learning library installed that requires a couple of things that all require nvidia. Now, I would like to have an AUTOMATIC way of uninstalling all dependencies on nvidia, installing the new version of the nvidia driver, and reinstalling all previously uninstalled things.

Does such a thing exist? I know that I can do -Rc for cascading uninstall… but why isn’t there a way to do the other steps (updating and reinstalling) as well during update.

UPDATE - FIXED!
I removed the cuda package and everything updated normally!

HOWEVER - If I want to reinstall cuda the issue with the different nvidia-utils remains. So the issue is solved for updating the system, but in order to reinstall the cuda package you have to remove linux57-nvidia-440xx, lib32-nvidia-440xx-utils and nvidia-440x-utils.

No idea if it’s save to remove those or not.

This resolved my issue:

pamac remove cuda*
pamac remove $(awk -F . '{print "linux"$1$2"-nvidia-440xx"}' <<< "$(uname -r)")
pamac remove opencl-nvidia-440xx
sudo mhwd --remove pci video-nvidia-440xx
sudo mhwd --install pci video-nvidia-450xx
pamac install opencl-nvidia-450xx
pamac install cuda

This is also a useful link on how to fine tune your nVidia settings.

Note: the awk -F . '{print "linux"$1$2 just resolves to linux54 if you’re on the 5.4 series, linux58 if you’re on 5.8 and is there for people who blindly copy-paste solutions…

4 Likes

hi,

just got a similar issue, but i could not proceed v450 installation because of prime funtionnality, with this error:
gwen@gl553vd-manjaro ~]$ sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-450xx

Installing video-nvidia-450xx…
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-450xx/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
vérification des dépendances…
erreur : la préparation de la transaction a échoué (la satisfaction des dépendances a échoué)
:: la suppression de linux57-nvidia-440xx casse la dépendance « linux57-nvidia-440xx » requise par linux-latest-nvidia-440xx
:: la suppression de nvidia-440xx-utils casse la dépendance « nvidia-utils » requise par nvidia-prime

but it succeeded with upgrade after remove cuda and then i could not reinstall it
[gwen@gl553vd-manjaro ~]$ sudo pacman -S cuda
résolution des dépendances…
recherche des conflits entre paquets…
:: nvidia-450xx-utils et nvidia-440xx-utils sont en conflit (nvidia-libgl). Supprimer nvidia-440xx-utils ? [o/N] o
erreur : la préparation de la transaction a échoué (la satisfaction des dépendances a échoué)
:: la suppression de nvidia-440xx-utils casse la dépendance « nvidia-440xx-utils » requise par lib32-nvidia-440xx-utils
:: la suppression de nvidia-440xx-utils casse la dépendance « nvidia-440xx-utils=440.100 » requise par linux57-nvidia-440xx

i also saw an information message when upgrading:
(172/227) mise à jour de linux57 [######################] 100%

NOTE, 5.7.19 was the last maintenance release by Greg Kroah-Hartman.
This kernel series is now marked EOL (end of life).

It is recommend to move on to linux58 series.
Use followed cmd to do that: 'sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux58'

Try removing linux-latest-nvidia-440xx right after removing cuda.

But be careful, I’ve seen lots of issues with linux58 vs. nvidia-450xx.

i think i have some files of 440xx and 450xx, but linux 5.8 is now installed, my problem comes from nvidia prime on rog laptop:

• 440xx cannot be removed
  • 450xx cannot be installed

[gwen@gl553vd-manjaro ~]$ sudo pacman -S cuda
[sudo] Mot de passe de gwen :
résolution des dépendances…
recherche des conflits entre paquets…
:: nvidia-450xx-utils et nvidia-440xx-utils sont en conflit (nvidia-libgl). Supprimer nvidia-440xx-utils ? [o/N] o
:: la suppression de nvidia-440xx-utils casse la dépendance « nvidia-440xx-utils » requise par lib32-nvidia-440xx-utils
:: la suppression de nvidia-440xx-utils casse la dépendance « nvidia-440xx-utils=440.100 » requise par linux57-nvidia-440xx
:: la suppression de nvidia-440xx-utils casse la dépendance « nvidia-440xx-utils=440.100 » requise par linux58-nvidia-440xx
[gwen@gl553vd-manjaro ~]$ sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-450xx
[sudo] Mot de passe de gwen :

Installing video-nvidia-450xx…
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-450xx/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
vérification des dépendances…
:: la suppression de nvidia-440xx-utils casse la dépendance « nvidia-utils » requise par nvidia-prime

i 'll wait for reinstall cuda, i will try reinstall cuda when next upgrade is coming

Is it common to experience major update issues like this in Manjaro? I am new to the distribution, and thought that it was more stable. Last week I lost sound in my desktop, and now I can’t update because of a NVIDIA driver. :confused:

Appreciate if you can advise on a simple solution for users who don’t want to risk breaking their system with manual removal of packages.

2 Likes

hmm this makes me wonder if 450xx would work for me if I removed cuda. I’ll debate whether or not to try that this weekend.

hi, since i use manjaro (installed 05 february 2020), this is the 1st time i meet issue with nvidia prime driver, and i hope this issue is solved when i proceed to next upgrade

Unfortunately, yes - updating nvidia drivers is a constant issue with linux (it’s not strictly related with Manjaro), but I understand and share your frustration. IMO, Manjaro should do something about it. I had similar issues during each and every nvidia update.

If you prefer stability over rolling distros, you may consider installing Debian based linux. I personally still like Manjaro as long as the projects I use are well documented and the community is responsive enough.

Running a linux desktop in general is like becoming owner of a boat. You’re the owner, captain and the only skipper (mostly the only passenger as well), in opposed to commercial systems like Windows and OSX, where you just pay for the license and could fully start bitching loudly to their customer support, asking for your money back anytime you want. When you’re at the open sea in your boat and something starts failing within your system, you better know A LOT about mechanics and electronics of all the equipment you’ve got there. If you don’t, you better start reading some books really fast, since the boat is about to sink and you’re running out of time. Well, it’s not as extreme as that, but you get the point. Preparation is the key.

If you decide to stay, I would strongly advise to rely on a system that is more bullet proof by implementing a solid backup/restore routine and actively use it before each update i.e.:

You should consider to become familiar with reading PKBUILDs before any update and reading documentation to avoid similar issues. But in case you run into anything like this in the future, you can simply restore your last backup, postpone your update and don’t hesitate to report promptly your issue here, to the community, providing lots of necessary technical details. That way you will become an active part of our community, not only a bystander/leecher. I believe that the real power of every linux distro is in persistence of active members of its community.

1 Like

I still haven’t reinstalled cuda (due to other issues I already mentioned) and so far i see no difference in using the system.

I was thinking of switching from dual boot with Windows to only Manjaro but after this experience I’m not willing to risk it (the XFCE on my AMD notebook also had problems with this update).

I hope you use separate EFI System Partition (ESP) for Windows and Linux. If not, you’re risking to encounter whole bunch of different kind of boogeymen out there. But even if you go for this approach (not sure why though), you will still need the backup/restore system I described above.

Learn more: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows

hi, maybe i should precise that i came to manjaro because older debian kernel did not succeed in managing nvidia 1050 optimus driver
so for those who own recent hardware, debian is not solution (official stable version is 5.4), maybe if you’re lucky, you will succeed with stable and newer kernel from backports edition, or with testing version
i would advice fedora for those who want stable distro with good support for Nvidia, since it worked well for me

another advice should be boycott for nvidia cards, as far i know amd support is better for linux

nota: this is not troll message

I followed the procedure of removing packages manually and it worked out fine @Bernd-L. I don’t think a less manual method will be available given that any further updates are blocked while this issue is present.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.