Cant start virtualbox Win7 guest after guest additions update 7.0.10

@D.Dave @jackdinn

It is a check to see if it makes any difference using the prebuilt modules or the dkms modules.

If you shutdown your guest - then in your host run

mhwd-kernel -li

Make a note of the active kernel - replace $KERNEL with the active kernel in below command

sudo pacman -Syu virtualbox-host-dkms dkms $KERNEL-headers

When completed successfully run

sudo vboxreload

Sorry, what are we removing and re-installing here ?

Summary

Screenshot_20230802_113827

As you can see from above - I am not able to reproduce the issue - that doesn’t mean your issue doesn’t exist - but I have no idea what to suggest.

And technically this is a Windows issue - and I am - I once was but I am no longer - an expert with Windows.

Inside your Windows guest - remove the virtualbox guest utils

Click Start → enter appwiz.cpl in search → Enter

I should also point out - your Manjaro system is supposed to be up-to-date or your system will be in an unsupported state were neither I nor other members cannot be sure where the issue is buried.

sudo pacman -Syu

ok on the host iv got

:: virtualbox-host-dkms and linux515-virtualbox-host-modules are in conflict. Remove linux515-virtualbox-host-modules? [y/N]

Should i continue?

Yes - this is expected.

It is a check to see if it makes any difference using the prebuilt modules or the dkms modules.

Well i removed the guest additions from the guest. Shut it down and then did everything in your post but its just back to locking-up on boot.

Thx for taking the time, I dont have the energy just atm to create posts anywhere else so shall stick with 6.1.16 for now

Same here.

We cannot solve issues inside the VM.

You should consider VirtualBox forum for your issues - they are much more knowledgeable

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community

I seem to have got it working although im not sure it will help others.

you prob could continue the thread on the VB forum linked by @linux-aarhus if what i did does not help.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=109877

Ok i have given it 128MB of vram and enabled 3d.

Im still tinkering. I tried again, this time i installed the “experimental” 3d acceleration on the guest additions. I have always unticked that box as it always made the VM crash, it had been that way for literally years, but as i say, this time i tried with it ticked.

When i tried installing the up to date guest additions this time it never asked about those “mini” Oracle pop-up boxes, you usually get 2 of them, i always just clicked “install” - “Install” but this time it didnt even show them, but o well , i continued.

The first time i re-booted after the guest additions installed it booted but would not go to my normal screen rez, it remained at a very low rez and i couldn’t change it.

I rebooted it again and its seemed to work, with the 7.0.10 guest additions installed.

I rebooted again, it hung at windows boot screen again.

Tried again and it booted and is working fine again.

It has been working 100% since then, iv rebooted it many times, it looks ok. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Just FIY the latest stable package is kind of buggy
On win 7 you will not be able to install the guestplugin because of signature issues.
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=110346&start=60

Using buildskcripts from AUR assumes Arch package level - this has nothing to do with VirtualBox but the incorrect assumption that an AUR build package matches the version of VirtualBox on stable branch.

Issues with this is most likely due to using different versions.

The guest additions is build from AUR and this version may not be the same as the version available on stable branch.