Can't run Proton games on Steam on Manjaro

I’m pretty new to Linux and don’t know much. I installed Steam through snap, all Linux-native games work well, but Windows games played through Proton won’t launch at all. They do work on Wine, though.

I installed Manjaro on another PC a few weeks ago and it played Windows games with Proton flawlessly.

Can someone help me get Proton working? I’m using a ThinkCentre m93p with a core i5-4570T

1 Like

First mistake.

You’re new to Linux, and installed Steam in a way that makes it more complicated to have everything to work. There is Steam in the repositories as a normal package, and it should have been installed by default as far as I know so I don’t know why you even bothered installing it from external source.

Here is a basic thread on how to request support and provide proper information:

Additionally, if you start Steam from the terminal you can read direct Steam log output there.

If Proton games don’t launch, it may be because your hardware is unable to, you’re missing proper drivers or a whole bunch of reasons. If you provide proper information, the most possible, it will help understand, there is no magic wand “abracadafix” :magic_wand:.

1 Like

Thank you so much. It fixed the issue, as well as another issue I was having with Steam.

BTW I took a look at the terminal before and could not see anything happening in the terminal when launching a Proton game.

But now it works. So thank you. I’ll try to be a better “asker” next time

If you installed Steam through Snap before, you probably installed games in the Snap default location for Steam library, and you may now have a “phantom” library not used now with Giga bytes of data not used. You may need to move or delete these files but that’s another issue I would not dig into, it is just for your info, now you may need to search about the location if that is the case.

PS: I would recommend to ALWAYS install from the repositories, and not use external sources, unless you know what you’re doing or want to experiment (as in willingly want to challenge yourself). And also my recommendation for external sources would put Snaps at the very bottom, I would not even have Snap installed/enabled.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.