Cant remove firefox

failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing firefox breaks dependency ‘firefox>=98.0.2’ required by firefox-i18n-en-us

it keeps recycling a session from a few weeks ago

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Please edit your topic title to be more clear about the problem and do not use abbreviations. See How to Post

Why did you post in the AUR category? Firefox is in the Manjaro repos.

Please post the full log when attempting to update.

Please also see: [HowTo] Make support easier

Dependencies can be automatically removed, if you pass the right options. Otherwise you must also list them explicitly.
How do try to remove firefox?

this is from the terminal window,
1/1) removing firefox-i18n-en-ca [#############################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks…
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate…
   ~  sudo pacman -Rs firefox  :heavy_check_mark:  7s 
checking dependencies…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing firefox breaks dependency ‘firefox>=98.0.2’ required by firefox-i18n-en-us

Remove firefox-i18n-en-us (the US English Firefox language pack) first.

thanks that did help somewhat but I am not altogether sure how to update from the terminal though. I got this back.
Packages (1) firefox-i18n-en-us-98.0.2-1

Total Removed Size: 0.47 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
:: Processing package changes…
(1/1) removing firefox-i18n-en-us [#############################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks…
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate…

well, you did successfully remove the language pack
now, removing firefox itself should be no problem anymore
… not that it ever was - but just in your perception … :wink:

Please format your posts.

hm?
Was that directed at me?

just asking for help / it should be a simple thing to understand. I have no idea how to fix it or update it as it usually does it itself. but my problem as I already said is that it keeps re opening a previous session its calling a recent session and the history cant be cleared. I was hoping to solve it myself by removing the package and reinstalling then updating and it hasnt worked so I am asking for help

no it wasnt

i was being mocked for being a newb. i took offense , it was stupid

remember to remove the hidden .mozilla folder in your home.

otherwise it will have no effect reinstalling the package

1 Like

if you feel the need to take offense …
don’t :wink:

it’s, more likely than not, a misunderstanding anyway

it’s fine, it’s ok :wink:

The vast majority of people here are here to help
not to troll you :wink:

1 Like

So we’re on the same page:

• You are seeking support in order to reinstall Firefox, but this hides your main issue.
  • Your actual issue is about Firefox restarting with an old session rather than a clean one.

The main issue being about Firefox, see: Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems | Firefox Help
I personally doubt reinstalling the package will have any effect. It has more likely something to do with your Firefox profile. So you may need to fix it – through the troubleshooting – or even create a new one.

As for your secondary issue, regarding reinstalling the package:

• You can reinstall a package without actually needing to uninstall it.
sudo pacman -S firefox
  • Whenever you manage your packages, the dependency requirements for all packages shall still be met. Thus, if you try to remove a package required by another, it will fail if you keep the former.
  • There are indeed ways to also remove dependencies at the same time, as you tried. Though you were close (emphasis mine):

-s, --recursive
Remove each target specified including all of their dependencies, provided that (A) they are not required by other packages; and (B) they were not explicitly installed by the user. This operation is recursive and analogous to a backwards --sync operation, and it helps keep a clean system without orphans. If you want to omit condition (B), pass this option twice.

So what you actually needed was:

sudo pacman -Rss firefox
6 Likes

thanks for that

this solved it

I thought something was missing… forgive me … been away fromthe boards for a while thank you

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.