Can't login to 5.8.6-1, no problem with 5.7.19 -2

Booting gets stuck at Manjaro logo with 5.8.6-1.
When I choose 5.7.19 -2 everything is ok.

But when installing updates I have seen information that 5.7.19 will not be supported any longer.

NOTE, 5.7.19 was the last maintenance release by Greg Kroah-Hartman.
[2020-09-09T11:01:09+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] This kernel series is now marked EOL (end of life).
[2020-09-09T11:01:09+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]
[2020-09-09T11:01:09+0200] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] It is recommend to move on to linux58 series.

What logs can I provide you with?

Did you try another kernel, 5.4 (LTS) for example?

Yes. I can use it, but what if problem persist with 5.9.
Would it be better to identify the problem. And I am not the first to report the problem with this kernel version.

Sure.
Linux kernel development is not done by Manjaro, try to report the problem in the kernel bugtracker if it is not already filed there: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/
In the meantime stick with a working kernel, the latest LTS (Long Term Support) is perfectly fine.

I have the same problem with 5.9 rc. And I think it is related to nvidia drivers:

Boot with a non working kernel (5.8 or 5.9) until it gets stuck (can you change to a text console with CTRL+ALT+F3?)

Next boot with a working kernel and try to find relevant errors in system logs:

sudo journalctl -b -1

Nothing special was there. But I think I found the source of the problem. I switched to XRender and succeeded to run system on kernel 5.9 with free driver (it is named video-driver).

For me it is with kernel 5.9 and Nvidia 450 drivers - the missing firmware for xhci error msg i get on every machine, but my nvidia (gtx970) machine just boots to a black screen. no log entries or something. but everything is fine with kernel 5.8 for me (fresh manjaro 20.1 kde install)

my intel laptop and intel nuc are working fine with kernel 5.9. seems like a nvidia problem, yes.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.