Can't login through the graphical interface after setting up TigerVNC

I’ve followed the steps in the Initial setup and Accessing vncserver via SSH tunnels from the TigerVNC arch wiki and now when I try to login a black screen flashes and it takes me to the login page again. So I can’t access the computer. Now I can only access from another computer by ssh or graphically by using the TigerVNC Viewer.

I would like to still be able to login normally to the computer without having to login from another computer.

1 Like

Ditch TigerVNC and use x2go or anything else.

I have the same issue, any one that can assist, please?

Multiple X sessions for a single user are not supported in general AFAIK, and is likely responsible for this behavior.

When you’re unable to log in, do you still have a TigerVNC server running for the same user? If so, you need to stop the VNC server before trying to log in graphically. You should always be able to log into a shell by using Ctrl+Alt+F2 if you want to do this locally. You can use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch back to your GUI once you’ve stopped the VNC server.

Are you trying to get different remote and local graphical sessions on the computer for one user?

1 Like

Thanks @belyash .

What I want is to remotely access my Manjaro xfce desktop machine (server) from a Windows computer (client), as the latter already have installed TightVNC Viewer, I thought it was a good idea to use it as the remote connection method. In the server, I have a single user that I want use both for local graphical login and remote graphical login, although not at the same time but most like typical Windows Remote Desktop connection. Fortunately, I am able to remotely connect to the server via ssh and use the command line, or, like you referred, locally using Ctrl+Alt+FX.

So the answer to your questions is yes for both of them: i) after stopping the VNC server, I was able to locally login to xfce, and ii) I’d like to use the same user both for local and remote desktop connection.

Not all VNC’s allow you to share an existing xserver. Some create one on the fly by default. Some will do both. I know x11vnc will share a running xserver “:0” and the same desktop can be shared/used on both ends at the same time but only one at a time. Good for remote help. Some can be set up to use the login manager ie sddm, gdm, lightdm etc but those will start a seperate xserver/session :1, :2, :3 etc. I’m not sure of TigerVNC’s capabilities but x11vnc is pretty easy to set up.

Thanks @eriefisher for the suggestion, I will try x11vnc.

1 Like

Install x11vnc if not allready installed
Either on the server or through ssh start the server “x11vnc”
From the client (I use gvncviewer)

gvncviewer ipaddress

enter your password and you should be in. You have to start it manually everytime by default but you can set it up as a service. You’ll have to do a search for that.

1 Like

eriefisher beat me to it, but yes I agree the way to go is either x11vnc or TigerVNC’s x0vncserver. It won’t work exactly like Windows RD though, since the remote and local displays will be shared. It will be similar to how TeamViewer works. This might be annoying if you want the remote session to have a different resolution or number of monitors than the ones physically connected to your machine.

I’m not aware of anything available if you want to easily (read: without manually ensuring the other session has been exited) switch between using the machine locally and remotely without sharing the same displays. I’m sure some script can be made to make handoff between local and remote access easier. Having the VNC session be spawned on demand might also be worth trying if how x11vnc works does not suit you.

1 Like