Can't load virtualbox drivers on linux60

Hi everyone my issue is that i can’t load virtualbox kernel drivers on my manjaro instalation (i use linux60)
and whenever i’m running “sudo modprobe vboxdrv” I get :
“modprobe: ERROR: could not insert ‘vboxdrv’: Invalid argument”

Anyone know why this is happening ?

You don’t have the correct package. For linux60 it will be

sudo pacman -Syu linux60-virtualbox-host-modules

On Manjaro you can use

sudo vboxreload

Hi @Mytha, and welcome!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Please edit your post accordingly.

I am in no way an expert, especially not with virtualbox-related issues, but I do have virtualbox running her, and I also know I never did that modprobe to get it that way.

So I looked a bit deeper, searching pamac for all things virtualbox related:

$ pamac search virtualbox
[...]
virtualbox-host-dkms                                                                                                                                                                                        [Installed] 7.0.4-1                   community
VirtualBox Host kernel modules sources
virtualbox                                                                                                                                                                                                  [Installed] 7.0.4-1                   community
Powerful x86 virtualization for enterprise as well as home use

Those are the only two packages virtualbox-related I have installed. And since you’re not talking about virtualbox itself, I decided to look into virtualbox-host-dkms:

$ pamac info virtualbox-host-dkms
Name                  : virtualbox-host-dkms
Version               : 7.0.4-1
Description           : VirtualBox Host kernel modules sources
URL                   : https://virtualbox.org/
Licences              : GPL custom:CDDL
Repository            : community
Installed Size        : 11.7 MB
Groups                : --
Depends On            : dkms gcc make
Optional Dependencies : --
Required By           : virtualbox
Optional For          : --
Provides              : VIRTUALBOX-HOST-MODULES
Replaces              : virtualbox-source virtualbox-host-source virtualbox-host-modules-lts
Conflicts With        : virtualbox-source virtualbox-host-source
Packager              : Christian Hesse <eworm@archlinux.org>
Build Date            : Fri 18 Nov 2022 14:54:46
Install Date          : Wed 07 Dec 2022 12:19:47
Install Reason        : Installed as a dependency for another package
Validated By          : Signature
Backup files          : --

But I didn’t gain much. I then decided to see if the kernel module (that’s a driver in Linux FAIK) is loaded:

$ lsmod | grep --ignore-case vb
vboxnetflt             32768  0
vboxnetadp             28672  0
vboxdrv               581632  2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt

And BINGO!

So it would seem you need to have virtualbox-host-dkms installed:

pamac install virtualbox-host-dkms

If you don’t have your kernel headers installed, which you need for -dkms packages, you can install the headers for all you kernels with:

pamac install $(pamac list --quiet --installed | grep "^linux[0-9]*[-rt]*$" | awk '{print $1"-headers"}' ORS=' ')

This will install the headers for all installed kernels.

Also make sure first you have the dkms package installed, from the extra repository:

pamac install dkms

Hope this helps!

Nice thanks a lot for the tips, just tested and it works fine seems dkms was missing