Can't install Manjaro - Here is the error I'm getting

Hi all. I’m trying to install Manjaro kde on an little htpc I built. I got Manjaro successfully loaded onto a bootable flash drive. But when it actually starts to attempt the install, this error message pops up and I can’t install. Anyone have any experience with this? I tried Solus first with Budgie, but it’s just not for me. So I figured I’d just go with Manjaro kde instead. Do I need to somehow get rid of the Solus install before Manjaro can be installed? That’s usually not how it works, the installer should just wipe it out and install manjaro for me.

Do you have other partitions on that disk you want to keep? If not then use the live ISO and run

sudo parted -l

This will show you the block device names of all the connected disks. Identify the disk you want to use to install Manjaro on it and then open a terminal window and run

sudo sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sdY

where /dev/sdY has to be replaced with the real block device name of the disk you want to use. This will bring the whole disk back into a state you can reformat it, so all data will be lost, to make that clear.

It is known that this type of issue exists for disk which have been used for Solus, previously.

I’m a pretty big linux newb so I usually don’t understand command line instructions unless they’re step by step.

1. Open the terminal in the live usb installer.
  2. Type sudo parted -l <-- is that an i?
  3. Press enter.
  4. Now type sudo sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sdY
  5. Press enter
  6. The installer will work now?

Thanks!

The output was thus:

Problem opening /dev/sdY for reading! Error is 2.
The specified file does not exist!
Problem opening ’ ’ for writing. Program will now terminate.
Warning! MBR not overwritten! Error is 2.
Error: Could not stat device - - No such file or directory.

Please read carefully, Wollie just used sdY as an example…

2 Likes

Please post the output of this command here. We’ll be better able to assist with specific instructions. :smiley:

… Running that command alone will not destroy any data, just list the partitions on the device.

From the linked image - the message you get is because the disk is setup using LVM. (/dev/SolusSystem)

You will need to wipe the disk before starting Calamares. Open a terminal and list your disk devices

$ lsblk

Locate the correct device e.g. /dev/sda - double check as the next command is destructive (replace sdy with your actual device) - execute as root

# sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sdy

You may now start the installer …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.