Can't install gPodder

I commented out the two lines:

[community]
#SigLevel = PackageRequired
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Saved the file, but then:

~ sudo pacman -Syy          
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed to synchronize all databases (no servers configured for repository)

comment out this line as well:
[community]

the result should be:

#[community]
#[community]

This solved my problem! Thanks so much.

So, we have a great community, but I have to take it out?!

No.
Like it is now, it is … disabled.

It’s just a comment right now.
(putting a # in front of a line makes it a comment …)
It’s as if it was not there at all.

You may as well take it out.
Noone and nothing needs it anymore - it does not exist anymore.

The issue is I still have Community in /etc/pacman.conf. Comment it out solved the problem. Got it figured out here: Pamac can't remove, install or update - #3

It doesn’t matter whether to press on Choose or Cancel.

I’ll but in one last time:

@XJia you need to pay attention to the Announcements for your branch’s updates. which I presume is the Stable Updates updates.

Also, you mentioned this:

…and it sort of makes me think you just want to point and click. I apologise if I’m wrong. But the fact is that Manjaro, no actually Linux in general, requires a much more hand-on, involved approach. So take a look here, and consider it going forward:

If you find that Manjaro, then probably Linux in general isn’t for you, I recommend Windows to save yourself a lot of headaches.

1 Like

Though I’ve used Manjaro for over 1 year, I’ve abandoned Windows for 20 years. You need to give wiser recommendation.

Doesn’t look that way from your unhandled .pacnew files. Or the fact that you don’t like the terminal. Or the fact that you couldn’t sort this relatively common problem on your own.

So excuse me for taking all the evidence into consideration before I make a recommendation. I’ll recommend Gentoo for the next person that asks about Linux, since that’s powerful. Sh1t man, I should’ve given it to my brother since he very rarely uses his computer.

1 Like

Well it has been ca. 8-9 Months since community is gone…it was kept empty to account for not properly updated machines, but i can understand it will not be kept forever and was taken down. Thanks for the tip, now we know what to expect in the next days in the forum

So, tell us about Gentoo. :man_vampire:
Oh, nevermind, it’s wildly off-topic. :wink:

You mean update the local databases (but not the system), so that next time they use -S they could end up in a partial update state.

@XJia If you haven’t already, do a proper update:

sudo pacman -Syu

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported

Except that it (quite literally) took me a whole weekend to get a (relatively) basic system, it was good. And back then, the kernel took a lot longer than 5 minutes to compile…

Edit:

To be fair, that chance is always there if you’re not careful.

Gentoo was a good learning experience - as was LFS
… but that was around and about 2001 …

If you define “not careful” as updating the databases but not the system. :smiley:

Although there’s also the possibility of a failed update that was left uncompleted.

I wonder from what perspective you stand.

If this problem is so common, how come it took so many rounds of questions and answer to help me find out the issue?

If you are a system developer (for Linux or Manjaro), and know that this is a common problem, why didn’t you make the system in such a way that it does not happen to a common user (sorry, not a system developer) like me.

If you are a skilled system administrator, good for you, but don’t expect every user of system to know everything you do. A user uses the system for other purposes than tweaking the internals of the system.

But anyhow, I appreciate your kind help.

On Arch/Manjaro, you are that user.
By way of choosing to use/employ that particular distribution.

Communication is not always easy, especially when it comes to tech support.

That’s why we’re here, volunteering our time. Don’t expect to be able to use a complex system without learning.

That’s easy:

Because we’re normal, standards human and non of us have mind-reading abilities, so the problem, had to be diagnosed manually. Not to mention that it was done with the input of many people from all over the world.

I don’t. However, they should know their own system, and much more so when using Linux. Any distribution of Linux.

I’m not a systems developer. I’m just an average human, that don’t like things handed to me on a plate. (Well, except dinner…or lunch…)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.