Cant disable GRUB?

Hello,

I looked up at Arch Linux Wiki to disable grub so I opened /etc/default/grub with sudo & nano.
And changed timeout to 0 also style to hidden but when I still boot to Manjaro it show up option to choose Manjaro or Windows. (Yeah I use Windows Bootloader) thats why I wanna disable it.
The timeout was default to 5 like I first time booted but changing it to 0 didnt make any changes does Manjaro use other file for grub?

OS I use: Manjaro 20.2.1 Nibia

Hi and welcome to the forum! :wave:

After the edit use sudo update-grub

1 Like

Ehm, I did that and instead the timeout went to 10seconds?

Here is my grub settings (For some reason I cant embed images in the post):

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=“Manjaro”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priorit>
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”"
GRUB_FORCE_HIDDEN_MENU=“true”

So you want to use the windows boot loader to boot not only windows, but linux as well?

If so - look for how to do that …

This and this came up, for instance.

I already have Windows Bootloader done, I can choose Windows or Manjaro but the thing is when I boot to the Manjaro it show up Grub Loader which Im trying to disable.

But you’ll still need grub to boot linux - you probably only want the menu to be gone or have a zero timeout - but then you’ll lose the ability to boot different kernels.
?

When I set the timeout to 0 I sent above my grub configuration its countdown from 10 for some reason? And it shouldnt matter I would lose ability if I ever wanted to go back to the grub I could just change the timeout?

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

// add
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
// save strg+O, exit nano start+X

sudo update-grub

is a problem with OS-Prober

True.
But what if you couldn’t boot (after an update for instance …) to a different kernel, even if you had installed two or three.
Be that as it may … it’s your preference …
I don’t have an answer for lack of knowledge and ability to try, since I don’t run Manjaro but Arch.
There are many threads here in the forum which deal with how to configure grub, make the menu hidden, lower the timeout, etc.
Can’t be more specific.

he press SHIFT before GRUB starts

Still it countdowns from 10 even with OS-Prober.
Im missing something?

hm, had the “same” issue, my grub default:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=0
#GRUB_FORCE_HIDDEN_MENU="true"
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Manjaro"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet audit=0 snd_hda_codec_hdmi.enable_silent_stream=0 systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=true"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="udev.log_priority=3 apparmor=1 security=apparmor"

worked for me

2 Likes

Okay, I edited the lines to be in same order as you have it and it works.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

but above depends on your needs, you have to change this to your configuration. I pasted to much :wink:

I didnt change that at all I just copied the lines till GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER.

Please remember you say GRUB to ignore other OS installations in his menus.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.