Can't configure nvidia driver on laptop

Hi there, I’m new to the forum.

I have a laptop, Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 15ARH, and I’m running Manjaro with kernel 5.11, because the touchpad doesn’t work with 5.10.

Everything works fine, however when I attach an external monitor with a high resolution, the mouse starts lagging. I assume this is because the integrated AMD graphics card isn’t strong enough, and I wanted to activate the dedicated nvidia graphics card.

By default, mhwd installed video-linux. When trying to install video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-450xx-prime (which I gathered is the correct driver, correct me if I’m wrong), it says:

video-linux is already installed.

How can I configure and set the dedicated nvidia graphics card as my primary card to avoid the performance issues associated with the external monitor?

Here is the output of inxi -G:

Graphics:`
  `Device-1: NVIDIA TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile] driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel` 
  `Device-2: AMD Renoir driver: amdgpu v: kernel `
  `Device-3: Syntek Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo` 
  `Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: `
  `loaded: amdgpu,ati,modesetting,nouveau resolution: 1920x1080~120Hz `
  `OpenGL: renderer: AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.40.0 5.11.2-1-MANJARO LLVM 11.1.0)` 
  `v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4`

Here is the output of mhwd -l:

0000:03:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         network-r8168            2016.04.20                true            PCI

0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1f95) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

0000:05:00.0 (0300:1002:1636) Display controller ATI Technologies Inc:

video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

removed

If you’re comfortable with a TTY, you can:

• reboot
  • not log onto the GUI
  • switch to TTY2
  • remove video-linux
  • install video-hybrid-amd-nvidia-450xx-prime
  • reboot

:+1:

P.S. @arkansawdave74 pure video answers are not allowed here, so please:

• transcribe the actions to be taken from the video into text and point to the video at the end of your text as the source for your material.
    OR
  • Delete your answer if you’re not willing / able to do that.
1 Like

My apologies. I wasn’t aware. I will fix it.

After you get a proper driver:

Just a tip: I love optimus-manager and optimus-manager-qt for switching between GPUs. It has settings for Intel, Nvidia, and AMD, and allows you to choose which GPU to run currently and to choose which is loaded at startup.The optimus-manager-qt package is a graphical interface for optimus-manager that sets an icon in your panel you can just right click and easily switch. It also has a hybrid switch and a Settttings menu on right click. It works on Xfce out of the box, but in some desktops it requires slight configuration. I had shared a youtube video that showed the configurations for, I think, KDE and Gnome, but it wasn’t allowed. You can search “Manjaro Nvidia Optimus” in youtube to find it.

And btw, @Fabby , with the number of outstanding tutorials on youtube, I think that’s a silly rule. Why make helping someone harder?

No it isn’t:

1. Most YouTube videos don’t have Closed Captions so text search will not help you there.
  2. It takes 3 seconds to read Ctrl+Alt+F2 but it takes 3 minutes of video to explain the same thing. Text is more efficient than video and why you still write email instead of sending people video messages and when it concerns tech help that becomes even more true.
  3. Videos can be deleted, moved to another channel, … but the help text you write here will live as long as Manjaro lives! :grin:
  4. I know there is no black and white: just 50 shades of grey:
    50 shades of grey
    … and the rules are community driven.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ok. I’m convinced. Glad they found someone who believes so strongly in the rules he enforces. Those are good points and I hadn’t really considered them. I guess it was lazy of me. It won’t happen again…Thanks for taking the time to explain.

1 Like