Can't change system language to English

After install I had English as system language and still in system settings I can see only English

But at you can see system language now Russian and I don’t know how to switch it back, because I didn’t switch it at all.

So how to change language back? And how to delete language pack?

изображение

cat locale.conf                                                                                       ✔ 
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

locale                                                                                                ✔ 
LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8

And I already did sudo locale-gen

Just to be clear:

1. that is /etc/locale.conf?
  2. en_US.UTF8 line in /etc/locale.gen is uncommented?

Please post the output of that command.

1 Like
  1. Yep
# /etc/locale.conf

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_NAME=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=ru_RU.UTF-8
LC_TIME=ru_RU.UTF-8
# /etc/locale.gen

# Locales enabled by Calamares
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
ru_RU.UTF-8 UTF-8

sudo locale-gen                                                                                          ✔ 
Generating locales...
  en_US.UTF-8... done
  ru_RU.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
Copying saved locales...
Copying complete.

Even if I comment RU string in locale.gen and run locale-gen nothing changes (

So I changed it back to English. I’m manually add russian here:

And after that switched it back and forth couple times and after relogin I have English system language. But I still don’t know where this settings stored.

2 Likes

Hi , thanks very much for your contribution. As a newbie to Manjaro, I’ve struggled with setting up the correct language/locale for over 1 hour. I originally chose uk_… - turns out that was ukranian?! Having followed the advice before your post, was STILL left with a job half done. The duplication of a setting foir a user profile should ideally be made CLEAR in the setup - not everyone is a linux guru. Thanks again. Joe.

1 Like

It’s unclear whether you still have a problem and are asking for assistance or whether you just wanted to vent some frustration :wink: