Cant change screen refresh rate on a gaming laptop

if it was that simple. if you want i’ll show you how to use the nvidia as primary and constant gpu and you can check to use higher refresh rates with nvidia.

yes please

is there any way to set it to dynaimically change for battery saving on windows?

the battery-consumption is more a question what load you use. i can’t see any advantage in using the intel-i-gpu. there was an option at optimus to switch but actually optimus has some flaws. maybe it’s solved with the next version but actually i don’t think so.

sounds good then. how do i go about switching the nvidia?

well maybe there is a way to use switching.
first make sure that you’re using X11 or wayland. it should be X11
the output of

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

shows what session. it should be X11

im very certain its X11

i had to go to work so i dont have the laptop rn but if you post instructionsill try them later

install optimus-manager and use the following instructions:

2 Likes

looks good ill try that later thanks

i installed optimus manager rebooted and now it wont boot. there is nothing noticable in the logs. it turns on and i can see the boot logs but it doesnt go to tty or any desktop

may you explain what steps you did. did you proof to be on X11 before installing ?

yes it is x11

glxinfo | grep server

what’s the output ?

server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:

i removed optimus otherwise it wouldnt get past the loading

whenever i tried to boot it would give me this error

Jun 10 19:34:04 poslop-m sddm[1096]: Failed to read display number from pipe
Jun 10 19:34:04 poslop-m sddm[1096]: Display server stopping...
Jun 10 19:34:04 poslop-m sddm[1096]: Attempt 1 starting the Display server on vt 1 failed

strang, may you explain step by step what you did ?
in general, configuring plasma to X11, installing and enabling optimus-manager, setting up nvidia as kernel parameter and updating grub will force to run with nvidia as primary driver.

I installed optimus manager and qt from the aur

i though i added the kernal parameters to mkinitcpio.conf but now that i look at it it is empty

first failure, if you had read the link before acting you had recognized that i gave the advice to install the optimus-manager from the normal packages and not the aur. read first before acting.

i did read that but when i checked it did not exist

sudo pacman -S optimus-manager                                                                      
error: target not found: optimus-manager

i’m out

alright no problem. thanks for the help
im going to do an arch install anyways so maybe ill fix it there