Cant change desktop layout

i currently use the 455 version of nvidia and For the global theme i can only change the launcher look.imtrying to use the noMansSky theme but it just doesnt change anything.New to linux and chose to switch from windows to manjaro

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

First of all, you have to realize that choosing a theme in Plasma is a bit of a convoluted affair, because there are different ways to go about it.

1. The application theme in Plasma is called Breeze, and Manjaro offers a modified version of this, called Breath. However, most application themes you find on the internet are actually kvantum themes. kvantum is a theme engine that uses scalable vector graphics, and you cannot set a kvantum theme in the same way as you set another theme. You have to use kvantum-qt5 ─ shown in the menus as Kvantum Manager ─ and load a kvantum theme in there by downloading said theme, unpacking it, and then pointing kvantum-qt5 at the directory (“folder”) with the theme.

2. Global themes do not cover kvantum themes. They may change the window decorations, the colors, the desktop layout, the icons, and so on, but considering that kvantum is a separate beast, you cannot apply a kvantum theme that way.

3. I personally recommend not using global themes, but instead hand-picking the different components for your theme and applying them individually, i.e.
    – Plasma theme (widgets and panels)
    – kvantum theme
    – window decorations (window borders and title bars)
    – icons
    – mouse pointers
    – wallpapers
    – layout of the panels and widgets

Considering that you’re mentioning the look of the launcher, that would commonly be the Plasma theme, because the launcher is a widget on the panel.

Also, it is best to unlock your widgets if you’re going to be customizing your desktop. Right-click the desktop and choose “Customize Layout”. When you’re finished, right-click the desktop again and choose “Finish Customizing Layout”.

1 Like

thanks for replying fast.I now understand but now having lots of problems.First systemd system manager doesnt open.Also i cant use my mic for some reason i checked terminal and heard my self.I should have got the pop up in firefox but i dont.Using corsair headset vpro usb.I dont know if its related because of me changing the splash screen recently but now i cant access them anymore.Or even use my mic on firefox,but it was my first time using it after i had issues with system manager.i havent tried in other softwares but when i checked i do see my mic so dont know why it doesnt pop up in firefox.

everything works now

1 Like

Now Manjaro has crashes every time I login after changing widgets. I don’t know how. I avoided using global theme. I don’t know What to do. My computer is completely unusable and to be honest I just want to reset it now which I don’t know how to do either

lookandfeeltool -a org.kde.breeze.desktop
1 Like

Doesn’t work
I get error that says
qt.qpa.xcb could not connect to display
Qt.qpa.plugins could not load the qt platform plugin even though it was found
This application failed to start because no qt platform plugin could be initialised.reinstalling application may fix the problem
Available platform plugins are:wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa,eglfs,lunxfb,minimal,minimallegl,offscreen,vnc,wayland-egl,wayland-xcomposite-egl,wayland-xcomposite-glx,xcb.

Doesn’t work.i am an admin and did on the terminal that you can boot into when pressing Ctrl-alt f2
I get error that says
qt.qpa.xcb could not connect to display
Qt.qpa.plugins could not load the qt platform plugin even though it was found
This application failed to start because no qt platform plugin could be initialised.reinstalling application may fix the problem
Available platform plugins are:wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa,eglfs,lunxfb,minimal,minimallegl,offscreen,vnc,wayland-egl,wayland-xcomposite-egl,wayland-xcomposite-glx,xcb.

Just created new account can enter no crash however I want to do a clean reinstall so I don’t have issues overtime

Now it crashed again lol

I don’t how from changing widgets my computer. Becomes no longer usable I tried to reinstall using a flash drive from usb that I installed from website on a different computer and using balenaetcher to flash it However it’s ignored and goes straight to my account which I did automatic login to and have to get out before it crashes or I have to hold down power button to exit

4 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t create bootable USB

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.