Can't boot to manjaro after failed update

I was doing pamac update && pamac upgrade and before it finishes i got a blackout. I restarted my machine as the DE doesn’t loaded and i can’t do anything and i greeted with

error: file `/boot/vmlinuz-6.1-x86_64’ not found.

error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue…

Following the tutorial in

And

I booted into live usb and do the following

Sudo su -
Manjaro-chroot -a
[ -f /var/lib/pacman/db.lck ] && rm -f /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
pacman-mirrors -f
pacman -Syu
update-grub

I did this multiple times and it has no update when i run pacman -Syu

The inital error no longer shows up, i assume it works, yet now upon restarting i always redirected to my bios.

I tried to follow the steps in here

But I don’t understand about pointing /etc/fstab with the correct UUID as wheni did lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,UUID it doesn’t show any UUID like below

I dont dual boot and manjaro is the only os installed. I’m thinking clean reinstall as my last resort and it wouldbe very helpfull if the issue could be resolved other ways. Any help is appreciated

Hi @gahara31,

That is the kernel. You probably got the blackout while the kernel itself was being updated.

I believe you’ll find this helpful:

I managed to solve the issue.

just for reference for others who might have similar case, below is what works in my case.

As it didn’t boot at all I first checked if grub loaded properly by chrooting via live media and changed GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden into GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu in /etc/default/grub and update the configuration with update-grub. Restarted my machine and grub does loaded, yet there’s no Manjaro listed at all.

Skipping a lot of following tutorial, I found this particular error questionable

[manjaro /]# mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 6.6.10-1-MANJARO (linux66)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/okular-24.02.2-1/desc: No such file or directory
   * linux66
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/okular-24.02.2-1/desc: No such file or directory

then I tried to reinstall the kernel with

pacman -S linux66
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and after a restart the manjaro able to start normally. I still have no idea why it works, maybe there’s a corrupt in the kernel or something.

sudo lsblk -o list

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.