Cant boot anymore after command pkill x

Hello,
I was having trouble with the backlight control into manjaro so I found this tutorial
youtube /watch?v=bRBE8F-Z8MI
but after launching the command pkill x my computer is stuck on the asus logo when i start to boot on manjaro…Could anyone please help me ?
I cant find any solution

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome,

so is an asus laptop and the video seems to have been made for

Well, we can’t be sure what else have you done to your system, so i see two options:

1. follow this to recover your install [HowTo] Resolve an unbootable Manjaro (black screen, login failed, cant boot, etc)
  2. start from scratch and if you have issues that want to fix, share some information about your system as explained here How to provide good information and someone will help you out, or point you in the right direction.
3 Likes

If you kill the X-Server, which is the basic program for a graphical user interface, of course you’ll end up with no GUI.

You can switch to a different TTY with Ctrl+Alt+F2 (or F1, F3, … etc.)

1 Like

Thank you, and what command should i do to re-enable GUI ?

The first link in post #2 has additional links after “OK, I have a terminal prompt. What now?”

Try this:

Hello, i tryed but it seems to doesent work…
I show you what i have when I try the command line as in the answers
I show you what i have

https://i.imgur.com/umtFmBl.jpeg

I really need to use it back now if you have any idea of restoring my laptop back to life haha…

I really need to use it back now if you have any idea of restoring my laptop back to life haha… I would be so glad

Hello, i tryed but it seems to doesent work…
I show you what i have when I try the command line as in the answers
I show you what i have

https://i.imgur.com/umtFmBl.jpeg

I really need to use it back now if you have any idea of restoring my laptop back to life haha…

I really need to use it back now if you have any idea of restoring my laptop back to life haha… I would be so glad

The screenshot starts with:
last login;
27-th of August

that is quite some time ago now - that’s not recent at all :wink:

then a command to remove a (non existent) directory
you tried three times

Then, at the end, there are hints that something failed
and also where more information as to why might be found:
in
/home/pull/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

Your X server seems to be misconfigured and the clues as to the reason why it fails are in the system log or in the log file that is mentioned in the message you posted a screenshot of.

read the log files - and/or post the contents
! cave !
not a screen shot! - post (copy/paste) the text

less /home/pull/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
you can scroll the output with the arrow keys
or
cat /home/pull/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
that will dump all of it and you’ll only see the end part …

then there are the

journalctl
and
dmesg
commands
to list the system logs and error messages

The command you mentioned:
pkill x
is, for one, incorrect (not a valid command)
and therefore would not have done anything anyway
second:
it would only have killed (stopped) a running process of that name - if it existed

This certainly does no permanent damage to the system - after a reboot, everything will be as it was.

So:
the reason for your no boot issue is … something else (aka: something else you did but did not mention … or don’t remember :wink: )

Hello thanks for your answer
I’m sorry i didn’t understand everything, what should I do to make my computer boot again…?
please try to explain me really simply what to do, i would be so recognizeful to bring back my computer to life as before

Thanks in advance

I just described to you how to access and read the log files
that are expicitly mentioned in your screenshot
which likely contain details re you error.

And I mentioned some other sources of possible information as to what the reason of your issue is.

I cannot read those for you - you’ll have to do that. :wink: