Can't associate .lbrn files with LightBurn

I use a program called lightBurn. but nautilus is not able to match the program with its .lbrn file
I have used several alternatives from the basic “right click - open with another application - see all applications. (I can’t find the program listed)” to others a little more elaborate

lightBurn is a program that claims to be cross-platform and I find it strange that it can’t be recognized by nautilus, double-click and voila, open the file with the correct program. I did a test recently with your version of kde and if it worked, delpin recognized it.
opening with doubleclick is simple. but it’s not gnome and I just want it to work fine on my favorite desktop.

How did you install it? It is available from the AUR via pamac GUI or in terminal

pamac build lightburn-bin
1 Like

no, the program comes as .run from the official lightBurn website.
install it with
~$ sudo ./file.run

I just installed Manjaro for the 1st time and used your tip to install Lightburn. The installation worked fine, but the program doesn’t start although it shows up in my app list.

I can’t post a question yet, since I just signed up 10 minutes ago so I’m asking in a reply. Any idea what’s up?

try starting it in terminal to see output

Thanks for the help, but I can’t figure out how to run it. I’ve moved to the proper directory, /usr/bin and found the executable, I’ve searched lists of essential commands, but still don’t know how. Could you tell me please?

open a terminal and type
LightBurn
then press Enter

I got this returned, what does it mean?

lightburn: symbol lookup error: lightburn: undefined symbol: __cxa_throw_bad_array_new_length, version Qt_5

Judging by the comments on the AUR page

AUR (en) - lightburn-bin

it doesn’t even work on Arch (anymore) at the moment.

You may be better off using the .run file that is available from the website.
like @carlos-prz suggested

It comes with the correct library versions - which the AUR package does not use.
It uses the system libraries - the version of which does not match and thus the thing does not work.

That makes sense, thank you for helping me out, I’ll post the results when I’ve done it :slight_smile:

Update: It doesn’t work like he described it:

What did I do wrong?

it is much more likely that the command to run this LightBurn.run file
in/from inside your $HOME directory
is something like this:

sh -x ~/Downloads/LightBurn-Linux64-v1.3.01.run

sudo isn’t a magic wand - it just lets you change the context, to run commands as the super user
which is not required in that case - and also: no actual command was given

just “sudo” by itself will not magically start to execute the .run file

to make life easier, set the .run file to “executable”
then you can start it by simply calling it like this:
~/Downloads/LightBurn-Linux64-v1.3.01.run

sh -x is what runs it as an executable - even if it isn’t set as executable

That’s the ticket! It’s up and running now. Thanks again for your support.