Can't access my second partition

I can’t access my new volume, suddenly out of nowhere that i’m unable to access location
ERROR: UNABLE TO ACCESS LOCATION
error monitoring /dev/sda4 at /run/media/user/new volume:wrong fs type ,bad option, bad superlock on /dev/sda4 ,missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

What is your new volume?
How did you create it?

the output of:
lsblk -f
could shed light on the matter as well.

Also.
general system info would likely be helpful:
inxi -Fazy
for example

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Please do not create duplicate topics. They’ve been merged.

Please also see:

1 Like

It’s my second partition sda4

That is not enough information.
Not by a long shot.

See and read what @Yochanan linked to - and what I wrote as well.

I mentioned two commands that likely could lead to resolving the issue.
You addressed none of the two.

1 Like

  ~  lsblk -f  :heavy_check_mark:
NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda
├─sda1
│ ext4 1.0 d2e7501b-c3e8-4250-a7a8-2b311502dad6 41.1G 37% /
└─sda4
ntfs New Volume E0AAB7B8AAB78994
sr0

Please edit your last reply accordingly:

So you have an NTFS file system on /dev/sda4
apparently

What is the problem with it?

Did you just create it?

How?

and:
Why NTFS?

I’m sorry this my first time asking for support so it’s a bit hard for me + i’m new to linux
So this partition i already had while using windows and it has all my data , rn i can’t access it for no reason.
Just tell me the data you want so you can be able to help me and TYSM.

I will try to look in my crystal ball…
maybe you have not updated for a while…and maybe you decided to install the newest kernel now…and maybe you did not see the announcement about ntfs mount options on newer kernels?

It has very likely have to do with an unclean file system
and - another speculation
with Windows, not being fully shut down.

I do not know much about Windows
but there is an option to fully shut it down.

You’ll have to look for it - not hard to find here.

I have zero experience with that Operating System.

1 Like

This I interpret as “used to have Windows”. If this is true I’d suggest booting from something like Hirens Boot CD and running a filesystem check using the tools there.

If you do still have Windows then boot into that and set it to shut down fully (no fast startup, etc.). Similar to Nachlese; in my case I haven’t used Windows in nearly a decade and am very rusty.

Hi @ammar

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock… usually suggests a damaged or unclean volume. Note that Linux tools cannot help with an NTFS filesystem;

Your NTFS volume needs repairing using chkdsk in a Windows environment. If you have a multiboot system (with Windows and Linux), you can simply boot into Windows and run chkdsk from an administrative command prompt. This should repair any damage and that should allow you to access the volume again from Linux.

If you do not have a multiboot system, please read the following link for information on how to recover. It’s a long article, and unfortunately in English, but if you work though it (at your own pace) it should help resolve the issue.

Everything you need is contained within the following article. All that is required from you is to read and understand it. Feel free to return to this thread for any clarification needed, and someone will no doubt help where they can. Please remember, this is a Linux forum, and knowledge of Windows and Microsoft filesystems may be limited among forum members.

Cheers.

Edit:- It seems you have another thread; somewhat shorter.

1 Like

@ammar
Always post your inxi when you need help, without your system information we are limited to give you the right advise how to solve the issue.

inxi --admin --verbosity=5 --filter --no-host --width

Post this info into this Topic and select the output with crtl+e