Cannot run pwmconfig (There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed)

Hi, I’m trying to control the fan speed in my laptop (Huawei Matebook D14). I’ve installed lm_sensors, and run sudo sensors-detect. However, when I try to run sudo pwmconfig, I get this output:

# pwmconfig version 3.6.0
This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.

We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
after the program has completed.

/usr/bin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed

How do I get to know which modules are necessary and how do I install them?

What’s the output of sensors?

It’s very long, do I post it entirely?

For longer output, use a pastebin service and link it here.

1 Like

No, just sensors, not sudo sensors-detect. :wink: You can post the output here using the Preformatted text </> button.

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Vcore:       713.00 mV 
Vsoc:          1.04 V  
Tctl:         +60.5°C  
Tdie:         +60.5°C  
Icore:         4.00 A  
Isoc:          7.00 A  

nvme-pci-0100
Composite:    +39.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +80.8°C)
                       (crit = +81.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +39.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +40.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

BAT1-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0:          16.93 V  
curr1:         0.00 A  

amdgpu-pci-0300
vddgfx:           N/A  
vddnb:            N/A  
edge:         +60.0°C

Your fan sensor is not detected. Is your fan running as it should? Does your BIOS have any fan settings?

How do I find out? Should I look into the BIOS settings at startup?

Right, or you might be able to find the laptop manual online.

The fan is working, sometimes faster, sometimes slower. The thing is that it never stops, so I was wondering if I could do something about it.

This is the manual I’ve found online but there’s nothing about fan control. I’ll check in the BIOS at startup but I don’t recall having ever seen that information there.

1 Like

You might be able to get NBFC or amdgpu-fan to do what you want.

I’ve tried both, and both don’t work with weird errors. In NBFC, but my laptop isn’t listed, and I haven’t found a single laptop with AMD hardware (all Intel or NVidia). amdgpu-fan seems more promising, but it throws errors for which there is very little on the web. So I’m giving up for the moment, as the fan works decently even if the sensor is not recognized.

Thanks for your help anyway.

I’ll make a last attempt and hear if @cscs (who should have the same laptop as me) has experienced the same problem.

As far as I see there is no fan control support in the kernel for Huawei laptops, so fancontrol/pwmconfig won’t function. Unless you find an out-of-tree kernel module.

1 Like

If thats true I will just drop this here (please note it probably needs some work now)

• main thing to note there is that some kernel options are not required if you use one of the raven kernels.

• then see bottom for tlp and fan control and all that.
    (I am again not sure it is the current best option for this machine … but I havent had a need to change from using amdgpu-fancontrol)

1 Like

I have the same problem with my Lenovo Ideapad S340… I think our laptops are just not controllable in that regard idk. I have the exact same problems and sensors also shows me

k10temp-pci-00c3

and no pwm value, pwmconfig also does not work. Also no settings in the bios. It’s just a shame

1 Like

I stand corrected, the GPU fan seems to be indeed configurable via the hwmon interface. But I wonder, then, why isn’t it picked up by pwmconfig? Or why doesn’t it exist? Maybe the model is different?

(By the way, the “lm_sensors” link points to a non-existing file.)

I have the same APU. The the issues that warranted the following have long since been fixed:

iommu=pt idle=nomwait

There are a few others that also may not be required, but it depends on the BIOS.

I know your guide and I have followed it but, like others who have replied here, my fan sensor is not detected. You have the 2018 model if I’m correct, I bought it this year, so something in the hardware must have changed.

1 Like