Cannot print: cfFilterchain ghostscript exited with no errors

after running the latest update, I can no longer print. I get the error in the subject of the post and then “waiting for printer to become available” I haven’t changed anything other than running updates.

EDIT: This actually happened to my work computer as well, with the update previous to the latest update. But I figured it was an issue with the driver for the new label printer I had picked up, however now that it’s happening on my home computer with a printer that was previously working… clearly it’s a Manjaro issue.

EDIT: Further info… I am able to print to a printer over the network. Both printers that I’m having issues with are connected via USB. The network printer throws the same ghostscript error, but does print.

OK THEN… I got it to print with some turning off and turning back on… I truly have no idea what’s going on here. I will leave topic open for a little while to see if anyone has insight, as I still have that label printer at work that does not print.

Same … but kinda reverse.

Networked printer suddenly broke, readding and rebooting didnt help.

Wired (dymo) label printer works fine.

no ideas yet :worried:

Some goodness then. No such luck here. I guess Ill pull the power a few more times.

I eventually figured out that, in my case at least, this seems to have been caused by setting the “image quality” to “300X300 DRAFT” instead of “300x300”. Ubuntu 23.10 / Canon MX870.


I managed to get it working again but I don’t know what I did to get it to work.

First I downgraded:

[2024-05-08T22:44:33-0700] [ALPM] downgraded libcups (1:2.4.8-1 -> 1:2.4.6-1)
[2024-05-08T22:45:04-0700] [ALPM] downgraded cups (1:2.4.8-1 -> 1:2.4.6-1)
[2024-05-08T22:45:04-0700] [ALPM] downgraded lib32-libcups (2.4.8-1 -> 2.4.6-1)
[2024-05-08T22:47:58-0700] [ALPM] downgraded ghostscript (10.03.0-2 -> 10.02.1-1)
[2024-05-08T22:52:24-0700] [ALPM] removed cups-filters (2.0.0-1)
[2024-05-08T22:52:24-0700] [ALPM] removed libcupsfilters (2.0.0-1)
[2024-05-08T22:52:36-0700] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -U cups-filters-1.28.17-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst'
[2024-05-08T22:52:37-0700] [ALPM] installed cups-filters (1.28.17-4)

Then I rebooted. When I logged back in, for some reason I couldn’t use the GUI for admin tasks, so I had to log in through localhost:631. Then I deleted the printer and added it again in the web browser. For some reason, it added the URI as socket rather than ipp. When I tested it in the GUI, it worked.

On another machine with cups 1:2.4.7-2 and cups-filters 2.0.0-1, I tried adding the printer through the web browser admin and it worked. It also used the socket URI. However I did get some sort of deprecation message when I added the printer.