Cannot open chromium on x11: undefined symbol: wl_proxy_marshal_flags

After upgrading chromium to 96.0.4664.110-1, running chromium reports:

/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: undefined symbol: wl_proxy_marshal_flags

I am on kde x11, testing branch.

This is the second report of this I’ve seen on the testing branch today. I pushed 96.0.4664.110-1 from unstable to testing, but apparently it was built against a new library. I’ve pulled it from the testing branch.

You can wait until it catches up to your mirror and sync including downgrading newer packages:

sudo pacman -Syuu

Or downgrade back to 96.0.4664.93-1:

sudo downgrade chromium
2 Likes

Since Chromium 96.0.4664.110 fixes critical security bugs which seem to be actively exploited, I don’t think downgrading to a vulnerable version is a good idea.

If it won’t launch, it doesn’t do anyone much good, does it? I can’t always push packages to other branches due to possibly mismatched dependency versions (like in this instance). It won’t always build for other branches, either.

No, but it won’t do any harm either, while going back to the vulnerable version might well do harm. That’s why I don’t consider downgrading as (something that should be suggested as) a solution.

A non-functional program with security patches is better than a functional program missing a few? That makes no sense.

You seem to be missing the point here. 96.0.4664.93-1 matches the stable and testing branch, 96.0.4664.110-1 matches the unstable branch. If you want 96.0.4664.110-1, switch to unstable or wait for the next testing update.