Cannot install drivers, stuck waiting for confirmation

I am unable to install drivers using the GUI because it always gets stuck on a message “Proceed with installation? [Y/n]” (I will try to include a screenshot if possible). Since this is simply a display of the output from the automated installation process being run in the background, there is no way for the user to interact or respond to that prompt, so it will remain endlessly stuck like that. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can work around this? Is there possibly some way to roll-back the installation of the installer program to see if this was an issue introduced in a recent update? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Here is a copy/paste of the output provided by the installer:

Starting
> Using config ‘video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime’ for device: 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1c20) Display controller nVidia Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile]
> Using config ‘video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime’ for device: 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:3e9b) Display controller Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
> Dependencies to install: video-modesetting
Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

1 Like

That’s an actual issue with the GUI, and the team really need to fix that, but you can do it in the terminal with sudo mhwd -i pci video-modesetting and than doing the same command with the NVIDIA driver.

1 Like

I managed to workaround it by using htop to find the PID of the mhwd process that it had spawned (for example, it was 2383)
Then, I wrote the “yes” response to its stdin using the following command:

echo ‘y’ > /proc/2383/fd/0

1 Like

It turns out this did not actually install the driver, it just causes it to exit (the same behavior as if you run the mhwd command manually for the NVIDIA driver without installing the video-modesetting dependency first).
After I ran sudo mhwd -i video-modesetting manually, the GUI was then able to auto-detect and install the NVIDIA driver correctly.

So, the GUI failed because it did not detect and install the video-modesetting depedency
Therefore, I probably could have accomplished the same thing by right-clicking the video-modesetting driver in the GUI and then select install.

(Just wanted to add this information in case anyone stumbles across this issue in the future)

1 Like

Yes, it does work in the GUI by installing video-modesetting first. I don’t know where this bug (mhwd not accepting input, and then hanging) can be reported ‘officially’ though - Can anyone can advise?

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.