Cannot install any programs in wine

well I am using manjaro gnome and whenever I try to install any program in wine and also it is a staging one I get a gui with black dispplay or the gui dosen’t shows up please help how do I resolve this

I only use wine for small footprint, freestanding software. Anything more complicated than that, I prefer a Windows VM, e.g tax software (USA) is not available for Linux.

Can you provide any console output? Are there any errors when you run winecfg in terminal?
Can you mention what software you are trying to install. Maybe others can confirm. Does any software install under wine? Is the system fully updated? Which wine version?

Through trial and error with various Arch based distros I came up with the below that never gives me issues.

sudo pacman -S wine wine-mono wine-gecko

yay -S giflib lib32-giflib libldap lib32-libldap gnutls lib32-gnutls v4l-utils lib32-v4l-utils libpulse lib32-libpulse alsa-plugins lib32-alsa-plugins alsa-lib lib32-alsa-lib libxcomposite lib32-libxcomposite libxinerama lib32-libxinerama opencl-icd-loader lib32-opencl-icd-loader gst-plugins-base-libs lib32-gst-plugins-base-libs sdl2 lib32-sdl2 libgphoto2 sane cups samba dosbox

2 Likes

This is the following problem please help

What are you trying to install? Are they programs known to work with wine?
Or are you just trying random windoze software?
For what its worth … I looked up “sweetcase” and couldnt find any hits at places like winehq or protondb.

See cscs’s post

This IS “his own thread”. But screenshots is a nono on this forum, use the pre-formatted text button </> and paste the text.

As a side note, have you tried using something like bottles or lutris to use your windows programs? It uses wine but does most of the “hard work” for you.

1 Like