Cannot find application in "Open with"

I have recetly installed and started using a PDF reader called Sioyek. Before I used to see the option of opeing PDFs with Sioyek by going to “Open With”. But recently that is missing. I tried installing and uninstalling couple of times but that does not work. and also the “Find new application” in the open with window does not seem to do anything at all!!

A couple of days back I also posted about Foliate not working in my laptop as well. what might be the issue here? are these two issues related in some way?

Before going into details - is your system syncronized to the latest packages?

sudo pacman-mirrors --continent && sudo pacman -Syyu

Yes, I had updated my mirrorlist and updated before. I just did that again now, just in case!

it is showing me three warings,

warning: gnome-shell-extension-nightthemeswitcher: local (52-1) is newer than community (51-2)
warning: manjaro-hello: local (0.6.7-2) is newer than extra (0.6.6-9)
warning: manjaro-release: local (21.1.5-1) is newer than core (21.1.4-1.0)

While unrelated to your issue, you can resolve those warnings by downgrading to the repo versions as the newer versions no longer exist:

sudo pacman -Syuu
2 Likes

The user named @Maxoz99 at github actually found the solution for this.

Found a workaround based on How To Add An Application In The List Of Open With Applications In Ubuntu - It's FOSS.

Open the sioyek.desktop file at /usr/share/applications and change Exec=sioyek to Exec=sioyek %F.
After that, you want to run sudo update-desktop-database.

I am wondering how did the desktop file did not have the %F to begin with!

Don’t directly edit files in the system as they will be overwritten the next time the package updates. Instead, copy the desktop file to the user folder, then edit it:

cp /usr/share/applications/sioyek.desktop ~/.local/share/applications
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.