Cannot enable BT on a fresh install

I just freshly installed Manjaro KDE, kernel 5.15. Clicking “Enable” button in Bluetooth Settings doesn’t do anything.

systemctl status bluetooth                                                                     ✔ 
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2022-01-08 18:34:25 EST; 11s ago
       Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
   Main PID: 2594 (bluetoothd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 16626)
     Memory: 800.0K
        CPU: 9ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
             └─2594 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd
rfkill list                                                                                127 ✘ 
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no

Any suggestions?

Or at least

inxi -Nazy
inxi -Nazy
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = "",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: r8169 v: kernel modules: r8168 port: f000
    bus-ID: 25:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
  Device-2: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] driver: iwlwifi
    v: kernel modules: wl bus-ID: 26:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:24fb class-ID: 0280

Oops …

inxi -Eazy
inxi -Eazy
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = "",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel Wireless-AC 3168 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb v: 0.8
    bus-ID: 1-8:5 chip-ID: 8087:0aa7 class-ID: e001
  Report: bt-adapter ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: up address: N/A

Can you elaborate on this a bit?
Enabling bluetooth shouldnt really ‘do anything’ … but what is the problem? You cannot scan for devices?
Or?..

there’s no way to scan for devices. No BT icon in system tray either. I installed blueman but that didn’t do anything.

I can say that I have these related to bluetooth
(though I keep it disabled … so I am not the best source)

bluedevil
bluez
bluez-libs
bluez-qt

Hi, I have a similar problem on a long-running install, see my post asking for help with a Belkin bt adapter. Are you trying to use a usb adapter or inbuilt hardware? The most relevant info I found was this thread from back in October: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cant-use-bluetooth-but-adapter-is-detected/88063/17 which points to an issue with the kernel. The link to the patch in his/her last post that solved the problem shows that the issue is still very current (last post 7th Jan). S/he didn’t feel confident enough to advise how the fix is implemented and I don’t even feel confident enough to attempt it - my system’s currently showing a little instability and I don’t want to make matters worse. I’m now considering installing a different distro alongside manjaro, as I have Mate running in a virtual box and the bluetooth controller works within that, although it still can’t find the adapter - I assume because it’s still dependent on the manjaro host … but I’m speculating as I’m way out of my depth with the infrastructural process at work here. Good luck anyway!

Try run blueman-manager from terminal or blueman-applet which is the tray application in XFCE

There does appear to be an issue for many users (myself included, see also for example https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=271459 and https://forum.manjaro.org/t/anyone-else-experiencing-intel-ax200-bluetooth-being-disabled-in-kernel515/94004) using bluetooth on Intel hardware with kernel 5.15. For me, bluetooth only works after a cold boot (not reboot) on 5.15 with Manjaro, Void and Arch.

My recommendation would be to try an earlier kernel, perhaps 5.10 LTS, and see if the issue disappears. Kernel developers do appear to be aware of the issue, so a fix should hopefully come soon for the newer kernels.

I’m running 5.10 LTS and am experiencing the problem.

Apologies for the confusion, my reply was aimed at the original poster who is running 5.15 on Intel hardware - I was offering my suggestion only as a potential fix for the hardware and software combination they had posted. Whilst your symptoms may be similar, the exact cause might not be.

Before you go too deep, I recently had a similar problem with an Intel BT radio. After an hour of hacking around, the solution ended up being full shutdown (not reboot), wait a minute, boot back up and then the BT was back. :man_shrugging:

Edit: Sorry, I just realized @summrum already mentioned this (bluetooth only works after cold boot on 5.15).