Cannot boot Manjaro due to "ERROR: device 'UUID=<string>' not found. Skipping fsck

Hi there! I’ve noticed I can boot Manjaro with “fallback initramfs” option. Will there be any issues, if I reinstall grub not from chroot environment but after booting Manjaro with “fallback initramfs” option? I mean using sudo grub-install --recheck --force --target=x86_64-efi --boot-directory=/boot --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro command?

If you are able to boot using that option it means you problem is not Grub related

1 Like

To add:

you should check /etc/default/grub → the parameters in the line starting with
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
and
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=
the second one is usually empty (“”)

you should also check /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
the line starting with
HOOKS=

perhaps you changed something there?

Found the same issue in Manjaro works only in fallback mode initramfs topic. Solved this by prompting sudo mkinitcpio -P. System works fine after reboot. The only issue left is that uefi doesn’t recognize LiveUSB stick. Thank you everyone for your help!

1 Like

If you can start with “fallback” then the special initramfs file seems to be missing/broken.

Each time mkinitcpio is run, both initrd files are prepared. (so you’re good now)

• One is small and only contains files collected specifically for your PC. This will boot quickly.
  • One is large and contains ALL files that might be needed to boot. This will boot slower.

If the 1st is missing, you can always use the “fallback”.

If you changed hardware while the PC was off, it’s possible that “fallback” booting is the better option, as some files needed for the new hardware may be missing from the small initramdisk.

:footprints:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.