Can not remember root password

Ok guys thanks in advance for any collaboration. Basically I forgot the root pass, there are around 1.3 GB in pending updates because if I use the user password it says authentication failed or something like that. My SSD is encrypded and I remember its pass and the user pass too but no the root pass.

With what command did you try to update exactly and what is the error message exactly? Usually, the user password is required for updating, not the root password. Maybe a typo?

2 Likes

Issue the following two commands to set a new root password… :arrow_down:

sudo su -
passwd
1 Like

Yes, I dont remember changing anything, what I have noted is that when I click the apply option for the updates (through the package manager Pamac) it shows “Password for root” instead of “Password for user”

Then try to update by:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu

Normal user password required.

1 Like

Konsole shows: (user) is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

This indicates something happens to your system which you have not yet disclosed to us.

Have a look here:

1 Like

yes, it asked for (user) pass, When I entered it it says: (user) is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported

Boot up from the live medium, open up a terminal window and enter the following commands… :arrow_down:

sudo su -
manjaro-chroot -a

Once you are in the chroot environment, issue the command… :arrow_down:

passwd

… and set a new root password. Then issue the following command… :arrow_down:

usermod -a -G wheel <the-name-of-your-normal-user-login-here>
3 Likes

Aragorn thank you for replaying, when I enter the line “manjaro-chroot -a” the system displays the message grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your device map."

I have to mention the hard drive is encrypted but obviously I decrypted it before applying the command, some seconds after the first phrase the system shows “No Linux partitions detected”.