Can not compile kernel modules for RocketRaid 640L

Sorry in advance if this is a noob question.

I am trying to compile the latest drivers for my Rocket Raid 640L on a fresh install of Manjaro. On my old install the drivers installed and worked flawlessly.

The drivers can be found on HighPoints site under Rocket Raid 640L but I am atm. not allowed to link … :neutral_face:

When I try to install I get this error when I run the file:

[benny-z97xgaming7 RR64xl_Linux_Src_v1.5.8_22_06_10]# ./rr64xl-linux-src-v1.5.8_22_06_10.bin 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing RR64xL Linux Open Source package installer.............................................................
cp: kan ikke oprette almindelig fil '/etc/init.d/': Ikke et katalog
chmod: kan ikke tilgå '/etc/init.d/hptdrv-monitor': Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog
Checking and installing required toolchain and utility ...
unknown how to install.
Found program gcc (/usr/bin/gcc)
Found program perl (/usr/bin/perl)
Found program wget (/usr/bin/wget)
old intel_iommu=off amd_iommu=off pcie_aspm=off
new intel_iommu=off amd_iommu=off pcie_aspm=off
cp: kan ikke oprette almindelig fil '/etc/init.d/': Ikke et katalog
chmod: kan ikke tilgå '/etc/init.d/hptmod': Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog
Toolchain to built the driver is incomplete, please install the missing package to build the driver.
Exit.

I am in Denmark so the errors are in Danish but I did not want to translate and risk loosing info in translation.

I have installed linux headers and think I have installed everything necessary to compile but not sure.

Thank you in advance!

You can get the output in english without translating it yourself.

Just prepend your command with:
LANG=C

make sure you have installed all of the packages in the
base-devel
package group
To do that, just install base-devel

LANG=C sudo pacman -Syu base-devel

1 Like

Thank you! Installing the base-devel package made me get as far as compiing the modules.

LANG=C sudo sh rr64xl-linux-src-v1.5.8_22_06_10.bin                             ✔  20s 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing RR64xL Linux Open Source package installer.............................................................
cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/init.d/': Not a directory
chmod: cannot access '/etc/init.d/hptdrv-monitor': No such file or directory
Checking and installing required toolchain and utility ...
Found program make (/usr/bin/make)
Found program gcc (/usr/bin/gcc)
Found program perl (/usr/bin/perl)
Found program wget (/usr/bin/wget)
old intel_iommu=off amd_iommu=off pcie_aspm=off
new intel_iommu=off amd_iommu=off pcie_aspm=off
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/default.target.wants/hptdrv-monitor.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/hptdrv-monitor.service.
cp: cannot create regular file '/etc/init.d/': Not a directory
chmod: cannot access '/etc/init.d/hptmod': No such file or directory

Please run hptuninrr640l to uninstall the driver files.

Please restart the system for the driver to take effect.

However when I restart the driver does not kick in and start up the disks. Nothing shows up. Is there a way I can do that manually? Tried to modprobe rr640l but that did not have an effect.

What exactly was the “effect”?
The command used and the response you got could help.

Is that the correct module name?
Where is it located in the system, where was it put by the installation procedure?

The README states:

The installer will install folders and files to /usr/share/hptdrv/rr64xl.

At the end of the installation, the installer will build driver module rr64xl
  for all kernels in the system.

And it overwrote your /etc/default/grub - but as far as I can see with the same contents.

Sorry for not posting more about modprobe. There was no effect. I write sudo modprobe rr640l and it just sits a short while and then to prompt again.

If I modprobe rr64xl I get:

sudo modprobe rr64xl                                                                                                               ✔  1m 36s  
modprobe: FATAL: Module rr64xl not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.55-1-MANJARO

I can see at boot that I get an error:

/dev/sda2: clean, 328293/15245312 files, 4353653/60971696 blocks
[FAILED] Failed to start Helper service to load driver(s) for HBA of HighPoint, inc..

I am afraid I can not say exactly where it was put by the installer :pensive:. Not that Manjaro/Linux-savvy …

I could not find it either.
I just cleaned up my system because, as I said,
the installer creates a backup copy of /etc/default/grub and puts a new one
… with duplicate lines in it (and even items in one line duplicated)

… run the installer more than once and this duplication will be duplicated again - and the backup copy be replaced with the previously messed up one

better make a copy of your original before you keep trying …

The installer is almost totally quiet and does not tell anything about what it is doing.
I’m not touching it again. :wink:

That helper service has got a name.
It is probably a script.
Find it and read it to see what it wants to do, where it thinks the kernel module should be.

which $scriptname

might tell you where it is.

You could try running the installer with the --keep option
so that it will not delete the temporary directory in /tmp where it does it’s work.
So it looks to me when I try to read the installer script.

Manjaro uses systemd - and therefore /etc/init.d does not exist - and the expectations from certain actions carried out by init will not be present - which may cause other failures at a later point.

I suggest you take a look at the custom build scripts in Arch User Repo

Possibly one of the -dkms packages but you will have to inspect them to judge what is valid for your system.

… one systemd service is installed and enabled though
from what I could see

It’s pretty intransparent and I’ll not touch it again.
It definitely messes up /etc/default/grub