Can not change the directory for Dropbox

Hi to all the helpers!

I’m having some trouble with Dropbox. I’m using Ornara 21.0.2 with xfce.
The problem:
I would like to move my Dropbox directory to another location. The other location is an encrypted hard drive. But Dropbox does not show the mounted hard drive so I can’t move to location to it.
With the older version of Manjaro I didn’t have this problem.
Google helped me so far that I should create a permanent mounting point for the encrypted drive so I did exactly that. Sadly Dropbox still does not show me the hard drive even though it is visible to me in the File System directory as a “Folder”.

Not sure what I should do now. Thanks for your help!

According to the Dropbox documentation you cannot.

There was a big kerfuffle back in 2018 when Dropbox dropped support for encrypted file systems. DDG that.

You probably had an older version of Dropbox installed that still had this functionality.

:sob:

Thanks for the reply! seems a bit strange to me, since I used AUR as well so it should have been a newer one and my home partition is encrypted as well and it works on home.

1 Like

I dropped Dropbox (pun intended :grin: ) back in 2018 when they stopped supporting encrypted FS and encrypted files so unless someone else comes up with a better answer, it’s my humble opinion that what you’re seeing is a side effect of Dropbox’s decision not to support encrypted FSs.

:man_shrugging:

This what I found from Dropbox. So, since I’m using an LUKS encrypted hard drive and ext4 it should still work, as far as I can make out…

The Dropbox folder will need to be on an ext4-formatted hard drive or partition with extended attributes not disabled. [ecryptfs is not supported, but Dropbox will continue to sync with supported file systems that are encrypted via full disk encryption (e.g. LUKS)]

I maybe out of date with the Dropbox service - so bear with me on the thought - if you care so much as to use encrypted storage on your system - then why would you store the same files with an unencrypted cloud provider?

If you want to sync encrypted files - have you considered creating containers - then sync the container.

Another option is to use a cloud provider which provides end-to-end encryption.

1 Like

If it used to work it maybe worth trying the flatpak version of Dropbox instead of the aur, see if there’s any dependencies missing or anything. I remember with clementine only the snap version could connect to my gdrive account all other versions won’t so worth a try

1 Like