Can any one guide me how to install kde plasma 5.25?

Yeah, I remember those things, used to play some shooters with those.

1 Like

Since I want a somewhat stable system on my PC I wouldnā€™t switch. I used Ubuntu until some weeks ago. So I did have to wait at least two years, when I wanted an LTS, what I did.

On my laptop I could switch to unstable. But then there is the risk I see something I want to have on my desktop too :slight_smile:

The difference in time between Manjaro unstable and stable is 3 to 4 weeks since its a rolling release. Thats a lot better than Ubuntu that is a release based distro where new packages may take 6 months because they are in the next release.

2 Likes

Yes, usually thatā€™s the case. Apparently not this time for Plasma 5.25, where the Manjaro team has decided not to release it to testing/stable until the next major Manjaro release, which will happen I donā€™t know when.

1 Like

In the minds of some laptop users itā€™s huge.
I jumped to unstable and looked at the various theme (panels) and colour (dynamic tint) features and found them pretty underwhelming.

I also had some trouble getting back to stable, and ended up doing a fresh install/restore after it got messed up.

As I tend to use MOUSE gestures (bored with how the word ā€˜gesturesā€™ on itā€™s own now applies to laptops and mouse users tend to be forgotten) even when on a laptopā€¦ itā€™s a YMMV thing.

2 Likes

We pushed Plasma 5.25.4 and other KDE Software to our testing branch by now ā€¦

7 Likes

No it is not ā€œunstableā€. Manjaro called it ā€œunstableā€ but it comes from Arch STABLE repos. And no, you are not alone. You can look at the arch board or maybe aks in endeavouros boards. So I allready use 5.25 and it works perfect for me. Btw I switches the Distro to eos at one of my three machines, cause I donā€™t want to wait sooooo long. Too long for me.

1 Like

Did I write KDE 5.25 is unstable (also these are just labels, for ā€œorganizationā€ but the unstable branch can be stable and there can be unstable application on the stable branch, these are just labels)? I wrote

quite the difference. see the linked threads where philm explains it, not every Manjaro team member gave it a green light so it stays in unstable branch (actually 5.25.4 is in testing branch now, it will come soon to stable branch)

again you modify the meaning of what I say, I said ā€œyouā€™re almost on your ownā€ because if a noob switch to unstable branch, heā€™s supposed to be able to troubleshoot his installation by himself if something breaks, which is possible on the unstable branch.

this is usually frowned upon, you donā€™t go to another distribution forum to get help for yours.

I think that stable branch should be stable and Plasma only is when achieves the last release of bugfixes. So, I would wish very much if admins only changes Plasma after the last bugfixes (x.y.5).

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.