[Call for testers] Manjaro Unity Community Edition

Is this a Manjaro community edition, or a user created unofficial spin?

1 Like

This will be officially supported as I’m involved in the development. @rs2009 will take lead on this one and I’m mentoring. The packages are still in a separate repo until we got rid of the outdated dependencies like gtk2 and python2 and others. More details can be found on the project page: GitHub - manjaro/unity-for-manjaro: Port of Unity 7.6 for Manjaro Stable Branch

9 Likes

That’s interesting news :thinking: :eyes:

1 Like

Maybe you guys can get more testers if you provide a Live-ISO version of it :wink:
(No idea if you already did, i just glimpsed at the link)

1 Like

They did! :wink:

1 Like

We shared the release download page of github. The ISO is found in a split-zip archive as Github has a file size limit of 2 GBs. Issues can be posted here: Issues · manjaro/unity-for-manjaro · GitHub

3 Likes

You might include some info on how to unpack that archive, for those that are unfamiliar with split-archives :shushing_face:
See: Combining 2 iso files
:wink:

3 Likes

It is a zip-achive with 2 files … you only need to double-click the zip-file of both … and your archive-program will help you to extract an single iso-file. :wink:

1 Like

@kisun, thanks for explaning it here, but they need to provide that info on the repo’s README for those unfamiliar with split-archives :slight_smile:
Preferably duplicated or linked to, in the release page, where the iso is released :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, possibly my problem that I think that there no explaination is necessary for someone who try or install different OSs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But, perhaps you are right. :laughing:

1 Like

Why you think i posted a link to that thread :rofl:

Yes we are spamming this thread with kind-of off-topic chatter, but it exposes it more at same time :angel: :wink:

3 Likes

Also, I’ve now removed all the dependencies on gtk2 and python2.

5 Likes

I probably will not install it. But I was intrigued enough by Unity back in the day that I made my launch panel of my lappy on the large external 2 monitor set up on the right side instead of the left. KDE has other Unity like features that are cool.

2 Likes

using it as main systum and i all work good
unity not bad really its the compney behind it that is not very goood

2 Likes

Using it on one of my machines. No problems installing additional software or upgrading packages until now. Nice work, Unity Desktop has an easy to use work flow. Really thank you.

1 Like

I should have a spare machine shortly, so as soon as I can get the files down (Several hours on my slow Internet), I’ll give it a go.

I used Unity after KDE 4 made life difficult.

No Sorry can’t help. If it was a Torrent, yeah no probs, It just takes too long to come down

1 Like

Thanks for work Rusdra! I really like unity desktop even more in base arch, I have a modest notebook and it helps a lot to give older devices a chance to survive

Thank you if you check the bug on the lock screen that when it goes to sleep it doesn’t ask for the password, I tried to change it through dconf and through the settings and I couldn’t.

A big hug from Brazil

2 Likes

I believe I’ve found a bug:

Immediately post-installation, I ran a sudo pacman -Syu, and was met with:

error: failed to commit transation (conflicting files)
libindicator-gtk3: /usr/share/libindicator/80indicator-debugging exists in filesystem (owned by libindicator-gtk2)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

When I tried to remove libindicator-gtk2, it told me it would break unity7.

It would be interesting if, for now, you update via pamac because it worked for me, I had conflicting packages when trying to update through the terminal, but through the manager it was normal

Most likely that is because you used different programs (pacman vs pamac).
If you had used pamac on the cli it should not have behaved differently from it’s UI counterpart.