Building a Manjaro machine with Ryzen 7 3700x guide

I am new to majaro linux. I recently have installed it on a laptop. However, I also have been trying to install it on a desktop PC. I really want a Ryzen 7 3700x but in past experiences its been really difficult to find the right graphic card that could work. I guess my question is if there anyone who has a pc with Ryzen and a manjaro installed. If so, what hardware did you use. Thank you guys.

1 Like

Hello & Welcome to Manjaro Forum,
I am running on Manjaro Gnome with Amd Ryzen 5 3550H and Vega 8, official stable iso can do the job.

Just try the stable released iso on live drive and see if you have all the drivers then you can just install it on the drive.

Currently posting from Beelink GTR which is AMD Ryzen 5 Vega8.

1 Like

ryzen 3800x and sapphire pulse radeon rx 5700 xt here, all working fawlessly

1 Like

Zen2 with vega iGPU here. No problems. Works out of the box.

There are dozens of users with a ryzen and several different GPU combinations here in this forum.
mhwd is your friend for the special cases.

Are you building a gaming rig, or does gpu not matter in your case? Anyways in terms of vendors I’d go for AMD rather than nvidia (although they have the more powerful gpu’s atm)

1 Like

Hi!
I’m running manjaro kde testing in a ryzen 7 2700 with nvidia 710 without problems, and a manjaro kde stable on a laptop asus tuff fx 505 ryzen5 3550h with vega8/gtx1050 ti max also without problems

1 Like

Any AMD GPUs should work great with the open source drivers.

I use a Ryzen 7 1700x w/ 5700 XT. And a 1700x w/ R9 Fury.

Going to upgrade my CPU to the 4000 series once they get released.

1 Like

Hi, I’m running a Ryzen 9 3900X with a nvidia 2800 Ti on the closed source drivers on manjaro XFCE stable with no problems

Thannk you!

Mainly Im going to use it to run a few virtual machines at the same time with kvm/qemu. I am taking these online courses to learn different OS’s. I might play a few games but nothing that requires a lot of GPU power

You can use you current motherboard with the new series right?

No I can’t. My X370 only supports up to Zen 2.

Ryzen 7 3700X
on ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
GPU: AMD RX5500 (MSI Radeon-RX-5500-XT-MECH-8G-OC).
BIOS 1004.
…
Boot messages like “kernel: __common_interrupt: 1.55 No irq handler for vector”
can be ignored; Manjaro “Systemüberwachung” shows 16 CPUs instead of 8 CPUs and 8 Threads - can be ignored.
in BIOS choose: Power Supply Idle Control -> Configuration options: [Typical Current Idle]
(otherwise the machine CAN hang, but MUST not - reason “C-States” related.
…
Kernel: 5.8 and 5.9 works - 5.8 does not support LAN chip, but there are solutions (see: Forum!).

Ryzen 7 2700x with NVidia GTX-1050 . Working great so far.