Buggy Zsh integration with Dolphin's embedded terminal

if Dolphin launches with the embedded terminal open it messes it up.

You may think the video is descriptive.
Itā€™s not - not to me.

What do you expect vs what is happening?
Use words. :wink:

the Zsh graphics donā€™t load.
its terminal line start icon thing
gets replaced with ā€œvm-virtualbox%ā€.

Seems unrelated to zsh as it happens to me too and Iā€™m using bash. My mistake, watched your video again and see what you mean, but the there is weird behaviour upon reopening the terminal, on the second opening it shows:

[ydar@homepc /]$ ^C
[ydar@homepc /]$  cd /home/ydar

This is not something Iā€™ve seen before.

Also may or may not be related to this bug: 455324 ā€“ Terminal open/closed state is incorrectly restored

so: itā€™s just inconsistent appearing prompts?

ā€¦ switch to a terminal profile which is using bash instead of zsh
as the shell

these, by default zsh using profiles
are the most annoying thing in Manjaro KDE ā€¦ to me

A very bad design decision, if you ask me. ā€¦

especially new users do not know whether they are using bash or zsh
and are confused to no end

itā€™s just inconsistent

Why do ā€˜Youtubeā€™(?) vids appear at the end of the example?

Itā€™s true, sometimes Dolphinā€™s terminal doesnā€™t load properly - with zsh I notice thisā€¦ but as usual, today I canā€™t replicate it (maybe my recent rebuild solved this).
Quite often after I did F4 I had to type zsh to get it loaded.

Anyway, after that video, I think we need a nice shot to show why we love zoxide in a terminal in Dolphin, especially when weā€™re looking for some TV show to delete:

But sure, OP is correct.

Thereā€™s also another issue I had with Konsole which comes up if I resize a window:

So letā€™s ignore that, coz I donā€™t know how to fix that either (and that is the same with Alacritty, but not with KiTTY).

This doesnā€™t help this thread.

And I was mostly just voicing my opinion about the Konsole profiles in Manjaro KDE.

I do not even use KDE (or Konsole profiles for that matter)

and @eddier should perhaps go over the context of this again ā€¦ :wink:

I had the same issue as the OP - and I think itā€™s something related to ā€˜instant promptā€™ setting in ā€˜p10k configureā€™.

Sometimes when killing and loading dolphin, zsh isnā€™t loaded - hence the % bash prompt.

Something I never had with KiTTY - so itā€™s not a Dolphin or a Konsole issue. So this does help with this thread.

I just did ā€˜p10k configureā€™ again. The steps, verify font rendering (lock=> debian icon), select unicode rainbow prompt, 12 hour clock, round shapes.

The solution I found was something I didnā€™t quite understand when doing the configuration the first time - that is the instant prompt. When I set it to QUIET, I found the prompt loaded fine in Dolphin - itā€™s a while ago, I just changed it to remind myself.

Now Dolphin always loads zsh correctly with the zsh prompt.

So the solution, open Dolphin hit F4, make it biggerā€¦
run p10k configure and at the end choose ā€˜QUIETā€™ for the prompt.

Number 2 optionā€¦

1 Like

This is due to how different shells interpret different sets of chars.

I suppose Dolphin is using the Konsole engine and this engine can be configured with different interpretations of input - that is bell, lineterminator, newline et al. - which in turn may be interpreted wrongly and thus creates the described inconsistencies.

What I am really saying is - configuration.

I tried powerlevel many moons ago and dropped it because it didnā€™t work the same way in TTY - you could make it work by implementing framebuffer for konsole but that required setting up a tty service which then created other issues - so I dropped it.

The only prompt config I have come to appreciate is the git prompt - telling me the status - and with oh-my-bash - powerline and zsh has become obsolete to me and I returned to bash.

But even using Plasma I donā€™t use Dolphin either - I have completely customized my Plasma setup to the bare necessities - and comparing to my previous ā€˜dislikeā€™ for Plasma I am even beginning to like it.

1 Like

This is not a new issue, but the known issue from a long time ago. It wasnā€™t fixed yet.

But there are other tricks:

• Disable heavy Powerlevel, Dolphin will load the source .zshrc and initializes faster.

OR

• Change the configuration of Dolphin:
    Dolphin ā†’ Configure ā†’ Startup ā†’ Show on startup ā†’ Select ā€œ/home/yourNameā€

That is the known bug of Zsh with powerlevel, but Fish shell with tide (like Zsh powerlevel) has no issue.

2 Likes

tried it and it works.
this suggests Manjaro could make changes to work properly out of the box.

I think itā€™s up to us to set up our own zsh promptā€¦ anyway, Iā€™d strongly recommend KiTTY because itā€™s really pretty good - Iā€™ve loved Konsole for a long time, but itā€™s not getting too much airtime ATM.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.