Bug for multi-monitor with different refresh rate after sleep

I don’t know if this is well known - but I know it from experience.

I have been able to run a Samsung Odyssey NEO G9 240Hz and Acer 144Hz display at the same time but only after buying high quality display port cables cable of running 144Hz. HDMI although also high quality was not enough. (Intel CPU and AMD WX7100 PRO)

My system is different now with a Lenovo P620 Workstation and RX 7900XTX and only the Odyssey display.

If that for any reason is not an option I can only offer speculation

Connection is often the weak link

• connection cable must be of high quality

This is one may not be relevant as it relates to kwin

1 Like

Hi i also tried to set sleep mode to suspend, cannot fix this

Hi, I have my laptop screen which is 240hz and 2 monitor connected which runs at 59.95hz

It may not be the connection issue since they work fine under windows 11

Windows does not equal Linux - and does not always support the same setup - that is just how it is and you cannot assume that Linux will work the way you intend.

And Linux is more self serviced - but as I said only speculations.

What happens if you set the laptop display at 60Hz?

However I do think Plasma on Wayland provides better support with AMD hardware.

On some personal experience - my past experience with AMD dates back 20y - and that was not great.

I thought if Lenovo builds a workstation like the P620 - it can’t go wrong - and I got hooked on AMD and just yesterday I got a new Lenovo X13 with AMD 7940U added to the collection (no OS so I am starting from scratch). I am looking forward to experience this from ground up.

1 Like

60hz is OK.

One more thing I found when my laptop on 60hz, the inxi -Fxza returns info with refresh rate:

Monitor-2: DP-4 pos: primary,left res: 2560x1600 hz: 60 dpi: 188
    size: 345x215mm (13.58x8.46") diag: 407mm (16") modes: N/A

While on 240hz, it does not return a refresh rate and all the parameters are wrong…

Monitor-2: DP-4 pos: primary,left res: 2560x1600 dpi: 4064
    size: 16x10mm (0.63x0.39") diag: 19mm (0.74") modes: N/A

Linux is much about finding the right configuration - and in doing so - sometimes requires a great deal of searching - reading - refine search - reading more - and suddenly - bam - there it is - a user having almost the same issue and while that user’s solution do not work in this case it hints you to the tweaking point.

Almost like tuning engines - there is a lot of adjustment options - which one is the right one to push that extra mile?

The link from above about color depth - refers to a kernel limitation - one should speculate the 6.8 perhaps even 6.9rc provides improvements in that regard.

I saw 6.8rc, let me try for that…

I’ve googled and read every post in forum, still cannot find any clue…

Aha - you must be on stable - in unstable 6.8.2-2 and 6.9 is rc2

I just build a plasma6 iso with 6.8 for the x13

If you need an option to test I can give you the link

Let me try first since I can easily install it by majaro setting manager…

I may stay on 60hz if that does not work…

I also think there may be some clue on wrong parameters with inxi -Fxza:

Monitor-2: DP-4 pos: primary,left res: 2560x1600 dpi: 4064
    size: 16x10mm (0.63x0.39") diag: 19mm (0.74") modes: N/A

The dpi, size and diag are all wrong…

seems not work, I saw some other post saying that it may due to X.org, I’ll try to install gnome instead of xfce to try…

So bad, the kde displays black screen after update all packages, tried 2 times…use back xfce…

anyone has any idea???

I presume you tried KDE by performing a fresh install of the Manjaro KDE distribution, right? If you installed the KDE Display Environment on top of your existing XFCE, then that could produce unpredictable results.

Another plus for KDE is that Wayland is now the default DE; and you are able to switch between Wayland or X11 at the login screen.

It would be interesting to know if similar issues persist for you in both Wayland and X11, or whether its limited to only one of these.

Cheers.

I actually wipe out the whole system and reinstalled…

After I update all the packages and installed nvidia drive and reboot, it only shows the majaro welcome window and black screen…

That sounds like another issue entirely. There are (Manjaro-specific) tutorials for installing Nvidia drivers properly; you just need to search for them. I don’t use Nvidia (never will) so I don’t keep any links handy.

Blackscreen is likely caused by missing early kms.

Nvidia must enable this using a cmdline argument while AMD works OOB

I just installed with manjaro setting manager, auto-install

gived up kde… already re-installed xfce…

Hi, I did few more experiments:

1. without second monitor, my laptop 240hz works fine (sleep then wake up)
  2. if my laptop is on 240hz, the problem will show if I plug in the second monitor, and the second screen is copying laptop’s screen
  3. when the problem appears, I can set the laptop screen to 60hz and then back to 240hz, it works normal.
  4. when problem appears, I can unplug the monitor (HDMI), and set to 60hz then plug in then set to 240hz. it will work fine

I think it is due to nvidia drive, see this post