Brave doesn't show passwords

Brave doesn’t ask for a password when I try to open the browser. It forgot all my passwords.

Hi @infor2,

Well, after many years as an IT support technician, I can tell you that it’s not a good idea entrust a browser with all your information, in case something like this happened. And it does, more often than you’s think.

Unfortunately, I don’t know if the passwords can be saved or not, but I doubt it.

Rather get yourself a password manager to do that. That list is extremely incomplete, though. I know there are more than two.
I use KeepassXC to do that. And it, together with the Firefox plugin, makes my handling of passwords a breeze. And it’s available in the repositories:

$ pamac search keepass

[...]
keepassxc                                                                                                                                                                         [Installed] 2.6.4-1                 community 
Cross-platform community-driven port of Keepass password manager
[...]

There is also a mobile version of it, KeepassDX, that I also use.

Edit:
You might bee in luck. According to this page:

go to

/home/yourusername/.config/BraveSoftware/brave-browser/Default

then look for file called Login Data

but the issue that this file is encrypted using your old username account
so i do not think that it will work

but give it a try

another way that i am not sure if it will work or not

copy your brave-browser folder from your old drive to any location you like then

that you start brave using flags --user-data-dir=the new location that you copied our folder too (use brave-browser folder)

so for example it could be something like that /home/username/Downloads/brave-browser

brave-browser-stable --user-data-dir=/home/unknown/Downloads/Brave-Browser/

the brave-browser-stable are in the /usr/bin folder

and see if it show up your old profile or not

if it did then see if you can go to brave://settings/passwords and export the password from there

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

But if the database file’s not there I don’t know. :man_shrugging:

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.