Borg create: error: the following arguments are required: ARCHIVE, PATH

I’m following this tutorial and I could create my first data backup with borg ( :partying_face: !). Now I would like to create another one. The command line for the first backup is a copy-paste of yours, except for the repo (I only have one user on my computer so I did not created a specific folder for, the username is in the backup name) :

borg create --stats --progress --compression lzma,9
             --exclude ".cache/" \
             --exclude ".local/share/" \
             --exclude ".config/borg/" \
             --exclude "snap" \
             --exclude "jimbo" \
             --exclude "Examples" \
             --exclude "Downloads" \
             --exclude "Videos/*.avi" \
             --exclude "Videos/*.mp4" \
             --exclude "Videos/*.mkv" \
      /run/media/username/HDDname/Backups::{user}-{now:%Y-%m-%d} . 2>> /var/tmp/"$USER"-bck.log

That worked perfectly, but for the second backup I copy-pasted that same command and now I have :

borg create: error: the following arguments are required: ARCHIVE, PATH

Does the command for next backups must be different than for the very first one ?

That is actually one long line.
You broke it up into multiple lines
and, as far as I can see, forgot a \ after the first line when you wrote it as a multi-line command.

It should probably look like this:

borg create --stats --progress --compression lzma,9 \
             --exclude ".cache/" \
             --exclude ".local/share/" \
             --exclude ".config/borg/" \
             --exclude "snap" \
             --exclude "jimbo" \
             --exclude "Examples" \
             --exclude "Downloads" \
             --exclude "Videos/*.avi" \
             --exclude "Videos/*.mp4" \
             --exclude "Videos/*.mkv" \
/run/media/username/HDDname/Backups::{user}-{now:%Y-%m-%d} . 2>> /var/tmp/"$USER"-bck.log
1 Like

Please note that the Tutorial thread is only for providing feed-back to the tutorial itself. Requests for support go into the support section and why I’ve reclassified your question.

No it doesn’t, so:

• check your previous borg command with the history | grep "borg create" command
  • You seem to be using a user automount instead of a fixed mount, so verify it’s mounted in the same place.

:bowing_man:

Damn, I’m sorry guys for bothering you because of that mistake of mine. I had to run i quickly before doing something else and I did not checked enough my command… I’m so sorry ! :flushed: :sweat:
Thanks for your reply @Nachlese !

That may not be the best way to dot it, but I’m currently more confident by letting Thunar to mount the HDD by itself and then check with ls. If I evolve the way I mount HDDs/USB sticks, I would know how to adapt the Borg command.
Once again, sorry to bother you for that kind of mistake, thanks a lot to both of you, and I consider your first sentence @Fabby :wink: :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.