Booting will fail, unless you have an efi executable 'grubx64.efi' with bundled modules

A pacman update today gave me the following warning:

(178/417) upgrading grub
warning: /etc/default/grub installed as /etc/default/grub.pacnew
:: Grub does no longer support side-loading modules when secure boot is
   enabled. Thus booting will fail, unless you have an efi executable
   'grubx64.efi' with bundled modules.
New optional dependencies for grub
    lzop: For grub-mkrescue LZO support
warning: /etc/default/grub installed as /etc/default/grub.pacnew
:: Grub does no longer support side-loading modules when secure boot is
   enabled. Thus booting will fail, unless you have an efi executable
   'grubx64.efi' with bundled modules.
New optional dependencies for grub
    lzop: For grub-mkrescue LZO support

It doesn’t say it’s an error. I’m not sure if its informative or if I need to do something about it. I don’t know what side-loaded modules are, or whether I am using secure boot, but this is a UEFI system. I am not sure where to look for grubx64.efi to see if I already have it. The system is running but now I’m reluctant to reboot in case it fails.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Is secure boot enabled? Normally not when running Manjaro and only if you configure secure boot yourself.

1 Like

Since it is booting using UEFI I think yes? I didn’t do anything special to make it secure but is EFI and secure boot synonymous?

Have a read: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia

Hmm that didn’t really clarify whether uefi and secure boot are the same thing or not. But on a Reddit post I found that “Arch derivatives don’t support secure boot” and the only way to find out whether secure boot is enabled is to reboot. So I rebooted, checked the BIOS and sure enough secure boot is disabled.

But now Manjaro won’t boot. :roll_eyes: Grub comes up but then the cursor just blinks. At least it appears it’s not a grub issue. I guess I’ll mark this “solved.” :unamused:

Followup: It does boot, but after some poking I found that DisplayLink wasn’t starting which was causing X to not start… but startx worked from a terminal. It’s an AUR package that I never thought to update. Removing and reinstalling fixed the issue, all is well.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.