Boot error when added second dual booting drive

Hi all,

I have put together a new system, moving away from my almost decade old thinkpad, to a small desktop where I plan to have my Linux install alongside a Windows install which I need for Adobe software. I dd’d my Linux install over onto an M.2 drive and migrated to EFI while I was at it. I also dd’d my existing windows install over to a SATA SSD. Now this is where things get strange and I don’t really know which direction to go in (Google hasn’t turned up anything useful thus far).

With both drives connected, selecting Windows there are no boot issues which makes sense as the previous machine was also EFI. Disconnecting the windows drive and booting into Arch also gives no issues. Now if I connect both drives and attempt to boot into Arch I get the following.

mount: /new_root: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. and then I land in an emergency shell.

Now my intuition is telling me that somehow the boot process is at some point targeting the Windows drive given the /dev/sdX notation instead of the /dev/nvmeXX that I am used to seeing with M.2 drives.

I am stumped as to where to go, I installed grub using the following

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck after mounting my efi partition to /boot/efi

I also tried following this up with sudo update-grub but also to no avail.

Any points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and happy holidays!

I would boot a usb live image with both drives connected, chroot into the installed system and then update grub.

I have been doing this. Nothing works.

Hi and welcome to the forum :+1:

By that i assume you dd’ed the partition table also?
If that’s the case you would need to change the UUID’s of your partitions and disk to be different :wink:

Also keep in mind that your UEFI bios will only use the first ESP it finds in your system, when you have both drives connected it might be that it uses the ESP of one drive instead of the other…

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! I think I sort of managed to hack my way through it and achieve just this as my knowledge of this stuff is minimal.

I did a fresh install of the system, then used rsync to copy my root partition ontop of the new partition, modifying my fstab to contain the propper UUIDs. grub-install and mkinitcpio finally and it seems to of worked! horray.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.