Boot Cycles Multiple Times before Being Successful

Every time I power on, grub loads and then manjaro begins to boot. After a 10-15 secs it will then cycle power and return to grub and start again. Sometimes it will show an error:

[Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Clock: 0 Bank 7: f200000008
[Hardware Error]: TSC 0
[Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 0:806d1 TIME 1636884893
APIC 0 microcode 2c

On usually the third boot it will succeed and I will have not problems from there. Sometimes it will work the first time.

I’m dual booting with windows 10.

I have no idea what to do.

Hi @ellarp, and welcome!

After a quick bit of googling I found this page where the accepted answer states:

This can happen due to some reasons:

CPU Overheating or a permanent CPU damage.
VRAM/RAM Error.

So it looks to me that it might be some kind of hardware error. More specifically CPU-related.

Also:

I removed the old RAM stick and replaced it with another 800mgz one, now the system runs fine.

So it seems to have something to do with a faulty RAM module.

1 Like

Thank you for replying. It’s a new computer so that is weird. I’ll try reseating the ram.

That’s a good idea, yes.

And, y’know. As Rare as it is, it might just be a faulty RAM module. It happens. Not often, no. But it does happen.

1 Like

I tried that and it hasn’t changed anything. Not sure if that’s the problem. I’ll keep trying

I don’t know your hardware setup, so this suggestion might not apply.

If you have two RAM modules, try first one on its own, then the next. This might help you isolate where the problem is.

Also, I have been searching a bit and I found https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-test-the-ram-on-linux

memtester is in the Community repositories:

$ pamac search memtester
memtester                                                                                                                                                                                         4.5.1-1  community
A userspace utility for testing the memory subsystem for faults

So you can install it with:

pamac install memtester

And then run tests according to that website and see what’s up.

Edit:

Also see this page: https://askubuntu.com/questions/343114/how-to-check-for-errors-in-ram-via-ubuntu

It may be useful to include system info as well:
How to provide good information